Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: I need to bite the Shop Vac type 'dust collector bullet' - but which one?

I need to bite the Shop Vac type 'dust collector bullet' - but which one?

Short background info: total amateur with a bit of experience, putting in about 4 hours per week in a small room with so-so ventilation. Place is kept clean, but can and need to do much better.

Have been doing a LOT of reading (including threads on these and other forums, reviews, etc.) and I'm more confused than when I started...lol...

Bear with me, please. Considering 2 main scenarios:

1. Build around a Ridgid 1450: Vac, a DustDeputy, an extra hose, an adapter (for different hose sizes), and one of those electrical switches that start vac and tool simultaneously. Total cost: around $300

Advantages: cheaper and gets the job done given my simple needs.
    Cons: very noisy, no variable suction control, lesser long-term reliability.

2. Build around a Mirka Dust Collector (apparently as good as Festool and much quieter) plus dust deputy.

Pros: ideal setup. Has all the features I need and want.
    Cons: runs about $800 when everything is said and done.

I can afford either one, but I'm not wealthy by any stretch of the imagination. I would go for the Ridgid (noise can be handled), but my greatest fear is that it won't perform well with the Deros sander I'm getting due to the lack of suction control. I hate to buy cheaper stuff only to have to replace it later. But I also hate to spend more than I absolutely need to.

so, my question is this: which bullet should I bite? What's my best long-term move? Am I exaggerating the possible problems with the sander? Do I really need the DustDeputy if I get the top-of-the-line Mirka?

please, help. I need all the advice I can get!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 01-26-2016 at 10:08 AM.

This could be an absolutely no help response but...if you can afford more then go with more. Unless you drop woodworking completely count on getting more tools, making more dust. You may get a bigger shop some day as well. I plan on spending a bit less than that on craigslist buys but I will go with no less than a dust collector and air filter. What do you make?

Quote Originally Posted by John T Barker View Post
    This could be an absolutely no help response but...if you can afford more then go with more. Unless you drop woodworking completely count on getting more tools, making more dust. You may get a bigger shop some day as well. I plan on spending a bit less than that on craigslist buys but I will go with no less than a dust collector and air filter. What do you make?
    thanks, John! I make small pieces of furniture (simple tables, desks, shoe racks, etc.) and things I need. Right now, I'm making a rack for my DAW rig (love music and do it semi-professionally) that includes a custom case for the computer.

Like a lot of hobbyists, I realize it's cheaper to just buy the stuff I make, but I love the sense of accomplishment in building my own things, plus the fact that I find the physical labor in woodworking pretty relaxing.

I would go with dust deputy (complete kit) and your HD big orange vacuum. Obviously cheaper and a bit noisier, but you can use the savings to spend on other tools.

I think if I was buying a Deros I'd be buying a vacuum (or "Dust Extractor") to match. If cost was a consideration I'd be looking at the Swiss made Bosch sanders and a Fein or Bosch vac.

Hi Irvin, I have a Festool CT26 which is a great dust extractor.

The vacuum of my choice would be the Festool Midi, smaller, lighter, same performance just a smaller volume bag.

They're quiet, have auto start, variable suction, HEPA rated and something to not discount, they accept Systainer storage containers on top for storage and transport of sanders, drills, tools etc.

For a small space, the systainer gives you extra storage without using any more floor space........Regards, Rod.

Actually, according to Festool the Midi has 130 CFM and the CT 26 has 137 CFM.

Jack

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Howe View Post
    I would go with dust deputy (complete kit) and your HD big orange vacuum. Obviously cheaper and a bit noisier, but you can use the savings to spend on other tools.
    That would be my choice, Andrew. I just want to make sure the lack of suction control on the vac will not degrade the sander's performance. Perhaps someone here has experience with that?

Question: is the lack of variable suction (Ridgid 1450) a significant factor, in your experience? Do I need the DustDeputy regardless of what vacuum unit I get?

Have been reading about the dangers of fine dust and it's kind of scary (went through several very lengthy threads where some people express fear that Bill Pentz and others greatly exaggerate the actual, real danger for financial gain).
    Last edited by Irvin Gomez; 01-26-2016 at 8:52 AM.

Playing the Dutch uncle, you could always buy an inexpensive Harbor Freight 2hp collector for starters. Down the road, upgrade the filter system to a spun bond cartridge type. Heck, just sell the tailed beasts and come over to the dark side.
    Maurice

Check Craigslist. I bought a 2hp Grizzly, to dedicate to a resaw bandsaw, that had maybe been turned on once, for $175. There were a bunch of them on there when I went looking for that one.

Suction control is important with sanders. Excessive suction can make the sander drag along the wood. See the attached link which discusses using a router speed control with a shop vacuum to achieve variable suction. Seems like a $100 shop vac and a router speed control might work

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...-speed-control

Blog Entries
    So you seem to be concentrating on dust control from your small tools. Do you have any larger tools that are adding to the problem like a TS, MS, jointer, planer? If so you need something other than a glorified shop vac. If not you are on the right track.
    NOW you tell me...

Do I really need the DustDeputy
    Convenience alone is worth the money...
    Last Summer I had to plane about 100 board feet of Cherry.
    I'd lucked into a Craftsman dust collector for cheap.
    I hooked a Rockler Dust Right up to it. Not a single chip made it past the Dust Right and into the bags of the dust collector.
    I just slipped a plastic bag over the Dust Right and emptied it w/out having to screw around taking the canvas bag(s) on and off.

That was onsite at the place I was doing the work.
    I plan to replace my shop vac/top hat separator in the shop with the DC/Dust Right in the Spring when I get back into my shop.

Have been reading about the dangers of fine dust and it's kind of scary (went through several very lengthy threads where some people express fear that Bill Pentz and others greatly exaggerate the actual, real danger for financial gain).
    I'm 63 years old. I'm retired. I was never all that careful about my health. I have COPD. I can't walk more than 30 or 40 feet without having to stop and rest. Instead of doing the things I wanted to do in retirement, I spend all my time leaning up against something trying to catch my breath & all the money I wanted to spend on fishing stuff and tools and other goodies goes to medications @ $295 a pop (I have four of them the doctor wants me to take - - like that's going to happen..)
    Look at it this way,,,,if you spend $1200 on something now - - that may help you breath years down the road - you may avoid having to spend that much every month at some point in the future.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Get the biggest shop vac you can, IMHO. You don't have to get the stainless steel one, but get the one with the biggest motor.

I haven't had issues with the shopvac 'over-sucking' my ROS's. I suspect that the skinnier hoses that fit most ROS's throttles the motor speed for better or worse.