Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Illustrator & LaserCut 5.3 - Exporting Layer Colors

Illustrator & LaserCut 5.3 - Exporting Layer Colors

I've been trying to figure this out for a while now. Basically I want to be able to set the layer color of my paths so that when I open my file in LaserCut my layers are already set. I've done some searching trying to figure out what color palette to use. I came across another post that suggested creating a file in LaserCut with each path using one of the colors available then exporting that and opening it up in Illustrator to capture the palette. The other post said to use LaserCut to save the file as an .ai file. LaserCut 5.3 has no option to save or export as an .ai file. My only options are .dxf and .plt. So, I tried exporting it as a .dxf and opening that up in Illustrator. It kind of works. The file opens however only a few of the path colors come over correctly. In any case, I try saving that palette and using it in a new drawing, saving as an .ai file (Illustrator 8 version) and importing that back into LaserCut. Doesn't work. Everything comes across as black even though the colors are there in Illustrator. So I tried saving as a dxf from AI. There are a ton of options of which AutoCAD version to use. I tried the oldest and the newest but that doesn't work either. When I open it up in LaserCut everything is still black. Anyone have a clue? I'm using Illustrator CC, the latest version. I will note that the oldest version of AI I can save to is AI 8. When I import this into LaserCut I get an error that says, "Can't import the image data, please save the file use Version 7.0 file format." Even though I get this error it imports my drawing into LaserCut. This has been my standard workflow. I just can't figure out how to assign the layer colors in Illustrator and have them transfer. In AI I've been using no fill, .25pt stroke.
    Rabbit Laser RL-60-9060. 60 watt.

I can't help you but I am really interested in your project. I am using Lasercut 6.1 and I don't see a Corel or AI plugin for that- have you tried the AI plugin (seems I have read about it but do not know for a fact it exists. Thanks Gene

My Triumph came with LaserSoft PHSoft/PHCad software to run the machine.
    I've noticed that the basic 'interface' is the same as LaserCut, TruCut and probably many others.

This is a screenshot of the first version I used:

This is the updated 7.01 version, which is definitely better, and does look different, but-- still pretty much the same:

The point I'm getting at is, in either of these versions there "appears" to be a minimal color palette.
    However, virtually ANY color I use in Corel will import and work fine, regardless of the colors in the palette shown...

The shot below, I just sent everything on this 'job' as different shades of gray, and even though none of those colors is in the PHCad palette,
    they all work, and are individually adjustable, as shown in the 'layer options' panel. And the jobs will save fine too. I'm not saying it does, but it seems your LaserCut SHOULD
    work the same way?

========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I appreciate the screen shots but I think the key here is Illustrator vs Corel. I'm using Illustrator.

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Reese View Post
    I appreciate the screen shots but I think the key here is Illustrator vs Corel. I'm using Illustrator.
    When you open the file in Lasercut do you lose the colors?

When I use Corel I always export in the illustrator format, then open that up in LaserWorks. No matter what colors I use, they appear in LaserWorks even though they are not part of the LaserWorks palette.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

That's correct, I lose the colors. Hmm... the AI version may be the culprit here. Do you know what version of AI Corel exports? I can only save as low as Illustrator 8 with AI CC 2015. Any way you can post a basic file with at least 2 colors in it so I can see if your AI files will import correctly?

What happens if you save a color Bitmap or JPG? The colors are there and you can assign the colors in the LaserCut program to Vector or Raster. When I had my Chinese laser, once the colors were assigned the next import used the same settings.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Travis, I have a Rabbit Laser also and for some reason when I set the point size a little bit higher/thicker it seems to pick up more colors than when I set is much lower/thinner. I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I have noticed that difference. I too use Illustrator, although since I have this as a home business, I went ahead and have went with the Corel cloud version and just write it off of my taxes. Sometimes there are files that just have to be opened and worked in Corel. But I still see that if doesn't carry over all the colors I've assigned. That's just added work on my part once it's brought into LaserCut for cutting or engraving.

Feel free to PM me if you'd like, we're working on similar models so together we may be able to solve the problem.

Thanks,
    Michele
    Rabbit Laser 36 x 48, 80 watt laser
    Full wood shop
    Plasma cutting machine, 4' x 4'
    Vinyl Cutter

Michele, you are talking about the color on vector paths, correct? Not raster images? You say it picks up more of the colors. Not sure what you mean. Are you saying that you may set 5 different colors in the AI file and when you bring it into LC it's only carrying over 2 or 3?

Yes, I'm talking about vector paths. And yes, I'm talking about sending 5 different colors over and when I bring is up in LC, it may only have 3 colors. It will turn a few of the colors to black and then a few other colors. It's just odd.
    Full wood shop
    Vinyl Cutter

Any clue what version of AI your Corel is exporting?

No, I actually export everything as a DXF file and bring into LC.
    Full wood shop
    Vinyl Cutter

13. I've the same process (Illustrator to Lasercut).

You must create a color palette in Illustrator that matches the one used in Lasercut.

Simply import a screenshot of the lasercut palette into Illustrator and use the Illustrator color picker tool to match them. Then save the picked color in your new Illustrator color palette.

If color matched, you can import your AI file directly in Laser cut and see your different layers.

Regards
    IEHK IE1200 60w (+ rotary attachment)
    Lasercut 5.3

I've don that and it still doesn't work. Not only have I used the color picker on a screen shot I've actually exported to an air file and imported it into ai. When I save it back out as AI 8 however it doesn't retain the colors when imported into laser cut. What version of ai are you using? What version are you saving to that you import into laser cut?

15. Did you untick "Use Compression" when you saved the AI file ?

I've uploaded my own swatch if it can help...
    Lasercut Real.zip

My AI version is CS6
    IEHK IE1200 60w (+ rotary attachment)
    Lasercut 5.3