Thread: Back of a tool cabinet, how to join?

Back of a tool cabinet, how to join?

I'm a total beginner when it comes to woodworking. I'm building my first cabinet. A simple wall cabinet for my tools. I've dovetailed a frame. Now I can't figure out how to fasten the back of it. I want to keep as much depth of the cabinet as possible.

I don't know how the best way to hang it to wall would be. Maybe a french cleat system? Would the 1/4" be hold it? I would fill it up with a lot of heavy planes but a couple. How would you do a french cleat system with only hand tools? I dont have access to any machines.

The back will be 1/4" birch plywood. I'd love some tips on what to do or where do look.

Blog Entries
    Normally a cabinet would have a hanger board across the back at the top and possibly the bottom that connects into the top and the sides in addition to the plywood back. Take a look inside your kitchen cabinets and you will get the idea. You haven't provided any dimensions, nor any information on what is going to go into the cabinet weight wise.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

If you used solid stock to construct your cabinet, the back has to float, wether it's solid material panel or a piece of thin plywood. Normally, any back would be inset, either in a rabbet or a groove. If the former, 23 gage pins can be used to contain it or there can be thin wood strips to do the same. A panel in a groove would just float in the groove.

I personally like the French cleat method for mounting things to the wall. It's best to plan for them, however, so that the cabinet sides can be scribed to the wall.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ok thanks. Dimensions is 125 x 80 cm (~49" x 31.5"). It will store 3-4 planes. 5-10 chisels, 2 saws and some spokeshaves and measuring tools.

I don't know if the 1/4" plywood would hold as a french cleat system? I can see the kitchen cabinet way buy I think it would take up space in this case as the cabinet is not so large.

Hmm... I can't picture why the back would need to float if it is plywood and the sides are solid wood? - if the back was solid wood then I can see it would have to float.

Emil, if you use a French cleat to hang the cabinet and use a 1/4" back I would screw the ends of the cleat into the sides, maybe glue it to the back. The cabinet will sit off the wall the thickness of the cleat and then a little bit, but at least you keep max storage room inside.

I normally use the hanger strip as described by Lee above. French cleat is viable, but can mean losing some interior space (or exposing the cleat).

Hanger Strip 1-23-16.jpgFrench cleat 1-23-16.jpg

What Jerry^ said.
    A couple cleats top and bottom for attaching.

If you're worried about losing space, put the back behind the cleats, not in front.
    Your other option is go with a 1/2" thick ply and then no need for cleats.

I disagree re: You don't need to worry about wood movement with a ply back. Put in a rabbet and fit it tight this does 2 things: 1)adds strength to the carcase and 2) squares it u. Attach back with screws and glue. If you use nails, I would pre drill to avoid blow out (depends on grain of wood).