Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Opinions on my tabletop glue up method

No Marty, you are right. This job does call for pipe clamps. I just don't have any. I usually do not work in such a wide surface in solid wood. One time I did make two kitchen countertops out of maple strips. For those, I drilled holes through all the pieces, and counter sunk larger on both end pieces. I then used threaded rod, large diameter washers, and nuts as clamps. I then glued an outside strip on to hide the hardware, but for the life of me, I can't remember how I attached that strip without clamps! Lol
    Jay Pugsley

Pugsley's Wood World

"Never let what you can't do keep you from doing what you can do."

I hope I can offer others help too. I am very happy to have found this forum.
    Jay Pugsley

Pugsley's Wood World

"Never let what you can't do keep you from doing what you can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pugsley View Post
    No Marty, you are right. This job does call for pipe clamps. I just don't have any. I usually do not work in such a wide surface in solid wood. One time I did make two kitchen countertops out of maple strips. For those, I drilled holes through all the pieces, and counter sunk larger on both end pieces. I then used threaded rod, large diameter washers, and nuts as clamps. I then glued an outside strip on to hide the hardware, but for the life of me, I can't remember how I attached that strip without clamps! Lol
    Man, that's a lot of work! Pipe clamps are one of the most affordable accessories you can add to your shop. And being able to expand them when needed for a wider job like this is incredibly handy. You might want to pick up a few sets to start with and then add more as budget allows.

Buy some cheap pipe clamps at Harbor Freight. Get the pipe at a plumbing supply house.

Or find a local woodworker and borrow his clamps.

Screws are no substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pugsley View Post
    I was thinking about waxing the cauls to keep them from sticking. Don't think they would look good attached to the tabletop!
    I can't trust that I've waxed something good enough to keep even a little glue get through and hold on. I use clear packing tape on my cauls.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)