Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on my tabletop glue up method

Opinions on my tabletop glue up method

I am making a kitchen table made up of two glued up sections running across the tabletop, with a breadboard separating the sections and one at each end. I do not have clamps long enough to reach across the glued up sections.

My idea is to drill hole through one piece, then glue it up with another piece, edge to edge, and use screws through the holes, acting like clamps. Then remove the screws when the glue has dried, and repeat until the final width has been reached..

any opinions, comments, or suggestions?

You could build a clamping jig similar to the drawing below. Use a length of 2x4 attached to a sheet of plywood or MDF, then use short sections of 2x4 to make cam clamps (two are shown, but more can be added) that press the pieces being glued between the cams and the 2x4 along the back. Dowels can be used as the pivot points for the cams (the dowels are anchored into the plywood). The cams may require some small clamps to hold them in position once pressure is applied to the pieces being glued together.
    Screenshot (14h 38m 24s).jpg

Very cleaver Kevin I like it.!

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pugsley View Post

any opinions, comments, or suggestions?
    My main comment is to fill in your location; someone (like me, I have +/- 100 K body clamps right now) might be close enough and willing to lend you the clamps to make your project quick and easy.

Or make some clamps with boards, bolts, and wedges. (These allow better glue drying and can serve as cauls, too, if made with a crown)

Homemade Bar Clamps 1-23-16.jpg

Thanks! I am not used to anyone offering help like that. I will complete my profile.

This looks like a good candidate. Easy to put together, easy to set up, and looks like it would provide plenty of clamping pressure. The cauls that are built in also keeps the final scraping and sanding to a reasonable level also.

Be sure to put some plastic, (sheet or tape), to prevent it gluing down to the clamp board!
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I was thinking about waxing the cauls to keep them from sticking. Don't think they would look good attached to the tabletop!
    Jay Pugsley

Pugsley's Wood World

"Never let what you can't do keep you from doing what you can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Pugsley View Post
    Thanks! I am not used to anyone offering help like that. I will complete my profile.
    A belated welcome to the Creek Jay! Glad to have you with us! You'll find a ton of helpful, knowledgable people here to help when you need it.

Fred

I'm in Tipton.

You're welcome to use my shop and clamps.

PM sent
    Last edited by Dave Arnett; 01-24-2016 at 8:42 AM.
    Dave....in Indiana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.

Maybe I'm missing something, but doesn't this job just scream out for pipe clamps? You can make them as wide as you want just by adding more pipe...

There was a post in a thread a while back regarding making some long clamps using 2X4 with some blocks to hook over one side of the glue up and using an F clamp on the other end to apply the clamping pressure. I searched but cannot seem to find it.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

It may be wise to invest in a few large clamps and some pipe clamps. They will always come in handy in the future.
    Don

What a generous offer. Thank you!
    Jay Pugsley

Pugsley's Wood World

"Never let what you can't do keep you from doing what you can do."