Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is face frame always proud of the case?

Is face frame always proud of the case?

I'm going to be building (2) hutches for my dining room and I've got a question about the design aspect.

These will be 40" wide and 7' tall. I'm going to make them a two piece design where the top sits on the bottom via dowels(unless you all have a better idea). The bottom will have two doors and two drawers, followed by a countertop(probably walnut, but I might go cheap and use poplar). The top section will have a cutout at it's bottom with wainscoting backpanel, then two doors, and inside will be 2 shelves. Top section is 10" deep and the bottom is 17" deep.

I'm planning on making the case and shelves out of 3/4" finish plywood, then doing a face frame, and the doors will be rail and stile. Kinda, sorta, generally speaking in a round a bout way like this.
    DISTRESS_CABINET_PAINTED_CABINET_COUNTRY_HUTCH_RUSTIC.jpg

My question is about the face frames. Do face frames generally extend beyond the case about an 1/8"? It seems to me that they do in most designs, but I wanted to ask here.

It's fairly common to set the face frame stiles slightly proud of the outside of the case but it doesn't always have to be done that way. You need to consider what happens at those corners if you put a molding around the bottom of the sides which is also common.

Blog Entries
    I leave my face frames flush with the cabinet.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I make them flush. If they overhang, they look to me like the builder was inaccurate or lazy.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 01-07-2016 at 2:16 PM.

Blog Entries
    My opinion is the reason you see the face frame mounted that way is for mass production. That way it does not have to be sanded of planed perfectly flush which will save a step or 2. I always make mine flush. I think it looks better and is a sign of higher quality.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

+1 what they said^^

I build custom cabinets for a living. Exposed ends are always finished flush. Larry is exactly right---in mass-produced cabinets, there is a cost savings in leaving the face frame proud. To me, it screams "production" (i.e. factory-produced) vs. "custom" (craftsman-produced).

Blog Entries
    I leave mine flush with the cabinet sides. When in doubt visit a local furniture shop and see how the commercial people do it.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Is frame and panel an option?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    What difference would that make?

I'll go flush. That seems legit to me. I'm supposing you just make it 1/32" proud and sand it flush? I can't imagine building this with such precision that it worked out perfectly any other way.

I would place the face frame within the sides. I would set the face frame back an eighth at the most. I would want the sides to be substantial, say at least 1 inch thick or better.

When I built mine, I made the sides about 1.125" and inset the doors without a face frame. It looks much cleaner this way, but there is nothing wrong with using a face frame.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    I'll go flush. That seems legit to me. I'm supposing you just make it 1/32" proud and sand it flush? I can't imagine building this with such precision that it worked out perfectly any other way.
    I always build mine about 1/16 - 3/32" proud on both sides, then use a flush trim router bit to finish them off smooth. A little sanding and they are done. Trying to sand even a 1/32" for me, invites sand through on the plywood.

Its funny. I built one almost just like that a year ago. I used Pacific Coast Maple for the counter top with just a glaze finish. The rest was all painted using a lacquer based paint. I would not use poplar for the counter top as it is just too soft. It will dent and scratch so fast you will cuss it for a long time.
    Last edited by Mark Blatter; 01-10-2016 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Dowell View Post
    I'm supposing you just make it 1/32" proud and sand it flush?
    Yes. Flush-trim router if it helps. Then sand.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    What difference would that make?
    Pardon me?
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Could you elaborate on this a little? I do not know what this has to do with the OP's question.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.