Thread: What Wood to use for Cabinets

What Wood to use for Cabinets

I'm an amateur woodworker and I've made cabinets and tables etc but always out of veneered and stained plywood. I want to make some white painted Shaker style cabinets and I'd like to know what type of wood to use ? Also what's the best finish to use?

Any non porous, smooth grain wood will work. For hardwood, something like maple and for softwood, poplar and pine (no knots!!).

I think the best way is to spray, but I don't have the capability for that.

Here's what works for me:
    Paint is very unforgiving any joint seams will stick out like a sore thumb.
    I use an oil based primer, 2-3 coats and sand between coats.
    I use a good quality latex (I like Sherwin Williams paint) again sand between coats with 320 grit).
    You can finish with a wax if desired.
    Good Luck.

Blog Entries
    I would use maple or yellow poplar as their grain won't show through the paint and they take paint well. I would avoid yellow pine because the pitch can bleed through your paint and the grain tends to be more pronounced. Sand your cabinet to 220 grit, fill any voids with a hardening wood filler, not one of those putty sticks and sand it smooth. Make your joints tight and fill in any chip out areas with wood filler. Apply a primer coat and sand again as latex type paints will raise the grain and any paint will feel rough after the first coat. I would apply at least 3 wet coats following the manufacturers recommendation for drying time between coats.

With regard to hardness (Janka scale):

Eastern White Pine is 380
    Yellow Poplar is 540
    S.Yellow Pine (Loblolly & Shortleaf) is 690
    Yellow Pine (long leaf) is 870
    Soft Maple is 999
    Hard Maple is 1450
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-23-2016 at 2:15 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Myself, I would not spend the money on maple and cover it with paint. Poplar has been the go to wood for painted items for a long time now. And, poplar is a hardwood. My father has had good results with standard lumberyard 1" pine for all kinds of painted projects (wall cabinets, desks, bookshelves, trim and baseboard, etc).

Thanks, yea I wasn't going to use pine because it's probably too soft, I was thinking poplar. The kitchen cabinets I already have (bought from cabinet supplier) are actually maple under the paint, and I was surprised they use it under paint. I'm also going to buy a decent HVLP sprayer, possibly a Fuji, because I'll be doing more painted projects.

Its fairly common.

My brother has had several kitchens remodels done with maple under paint. I believe they use soft maple.

They are sprayed whoever is doing it the finish is awesome. Low gloss egg shell type paint.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Falcone View Post
    I wasn't going to use pine because it's probably too soft, I was thinking poplar.
    If pine is too soft then I believe poplar would be too soft. Think about soft maple. I like the look of ash under paint.

Blog Entries
    For painted cabinets, I would use birch plywood, with poplar or maple face-frames.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Von, I would agree. The birch plywood would give you better stability than solid wood, and the face frames would give the end product an all solid wood look.

Ah thanks Yonak, I've never used poplar I always thought it was harder than pine. Yea Von I was going to use plywood for the boxes, I may try prefinished for that. I like the look of painted doors with a honey colored maple interior, I'm you've seen that look in kitchen cabinets before.