Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: thin mdf

Yeah

I'm going to check the hobby shops next week.

It is reasonable to expect mfrs to direct you to their dealers but G-P doesn't answer their phone.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You may be able to get plywood products in some of those thicknesses, primarily through the hobby/modeling industry.
    Yep, Midwest Products offers craft and aircraft modeling grades of birch plywood from 1/64" to 1/2" thick in several sheet sizes: 12x12, 12x24, etc.

You might also check out some old school drafting supply stores for architectural chipboard or where you can find it by the sheet, Taskboard. The latter is available in several thicknesses up to 1/8" I think. It's flat and stable but it can be wet formed into complex curves.
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Brett

Thanks for that name. That will work if I can't find mdf. I have some chipboard and considered that as well. Just need to find the various thicknesses.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

If you're willing to consider plywood, Anderson International, in Los Angeles, offers baltic birch in thicknesses as low as .4 mm. http://www.aitwood.com/StoreFront.As...irch%20Plywood

How much do you need?

I've ran stuff down to 1/8" in the widebelt, but I don't think mdf would survive going that thin. Just not stiff enough.

Another option would be to get 1/4", and have someone with a cnc suck it down and hit it with a fly cutter to thickness.