Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bluetooth hearing protection

Question Bluetooth hearing protection

Hey all,

Doing a search, the last time we talked about electronic hearing protection was 2013. Since then there have been a few more reasonably priced additions to the hearing protection with bluetooth category. I have (but cannot figure out where I layed them) a pair of the peltor worktunes with the headphone plug and AM/FM radio. I have used them with good effect to listen to a little clip-on MP3 player attached to the headband with a short cord. Since I cant find them, I'm looking at what the options are for bluetooth to eliminate the cord. The ones I have found so far that aren't $$$ are as follows:

3M worktunes w/ Bluetooth ~ $80
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Howard Leight 1030110 Sync Noise-Blocking Stereo Earmuff with a blue tooth adapter. ~$80

http://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-1030110-Noise-Blocking-Earmuff/dp/B004U4A5RU/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_img_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0198QTEWPQEM1 4J2820J

Ion Audio Tough Sounds Hearing Protection Headphones with Bluetooth and Radio ~$65
    http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Tough-So...60M6H5V2BNQ28B

Marc at the WoodWhisper place was using the Howard Leight combo. Has anyone used any of the others? Any other suggestions?

Since there are a few new entries since last time we discussed, I wanted to see what this body of sage knowledge called the Creek knows about what the current state / experiences with the current crop of wireless hearing protection.

Thanks,

Nothing to add, it just seems to me that if you're in need to hearing protection, you're probably using loud machinery that you ought to be paying attention to for safety's sake and shouldn't be distracted by music. Certainly, there are exceptions, I suppose, but I'll just leave that there.

I've got the 3m Worktunes, and have used them a little bit. They're decent earmuffs; have a decent interface. I've not used them in the shop, since I feel like I should be paying more attention to the sound of the cutting tool and machine. I bought them instead for outdoor work, which I think is less attention demanding.

If you're distracted by music, I'm not sure your IQ is sufficient for using any woodworking tools. Now, if you don't like music, that's a different story.

3M sells some ear buds that double as ear plugs. I find them sufficient for even the loudest of operations. I'm not huge on wearing the muff style sometimes, but I have wanted to get a Bluetooth pair just to change it up as my ears get sore after having ear plugs in for long periods.

Thanks for those suggestions. I looked around a bit for a set to put on my Christmas list to no avail. At least nothing in the wife's price range. What I did come across was the Taotronic BT receiver on Amazon. Its a tiny unit with a 3.5mm plug. I pondered taping it to the headband of a non-BT unit, but haven't tried it yet. I did pick up a BT transmitter to send a wireless signal from an Aviom unit to my BT earbuds, but the delay was almost a full second and didn't help me like I thought it would. I plan to use it to listen to the radio.

One of my requirements for bluetooth headphones is the ability to receive two signals simultaneously so, when the phone rings or I need to make a phone call, I can hear through the headset.

I'm working on the problem of the earmuffs pushing my safety glasses against my temple. Over time that begins to be bothersome.

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    One of my requirements for bluetooth headphones is the ability to receive two signals simultaneously so, when the phone rings or I need to make a phone call, I can hear through the headset.

I'm working on the problem of the earmuffs pushing my safety glasses against my temple. Over time that begins to be bothersome.
    This is my biggest irritation right now. I usually wear a dust mask, Glasses & ear muffs. Makes for a lot of pressure points. I like the idea of the 3m earbuds mentioned above.

The main interest in Bluetooth for me is to get rid of the cord which gets caught on stuff. The worktunes / clip on mp3 works ok as the cord is short and everything is contained on the muffs.

I use in ear ear buds too sometimes (not the special hearing protection ones) but the fit in my ears isn't good enough that they loose seal and then sound bad and don't muffle exterior noise at that point either. Also the cord gets caught on stuff or gets bound up in my collar if I route it under my shirt to keep it out of stuff. Muffs pretty much stay in place.

The reviews for the options above are for the most part positive. I was just seeing what experiences we may have had in our group. Of the above the worktunes bluetooth will not allow you to answer a phone call with the headset while the other ones will. I don't know that I want to answer a call in a loud situation but it sounds like they all will alert you at least if you are using your phone as your sound feed.

I haven't seen if any of them can be multi paired at the same time (multiple streams). I would think to do that right you would have to be able to configure a master slave relationship so the phone got priority and would interrupt the other stream when ringing / talking.

I use my Skull Candy earbuds when I'm planing a bunch of stock and spraying finish both are monotonous and loud but most other work I just play my music over the speakers.... I do have some of these http://www.amazon.com/Bluedio-Blueto.../dp/B00EL2HDNU but I found that my earbuds get in the way less. Oh and I do make sure I run the line through my hoodie or shirt or it does get snagged pretty quick.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

I got the 3M Worktunes with Bluetooth for Christmas so I've had about a month to play with it. My overall impression is good, especially for the price.

In terms of hearing protection, they work well, maybe a little too well if there's such a thing. All ambient sounds go away, and the noise reduction for machinery is effective. When wearing them, even when no music is playing, I feel a little too disconnected, as in I can't hear someone calling for me in a normal tone of voice.

As far as sound quality goes, it's decent with several different settings (rock, pop, and flat). Since this is ostensibly a safety device, there's a volume limiter so you can't crank up the sound beyond what's consider safe.

The Bluetooth has okay range. I tested it out at about 100 feet through an exterior wall. 40 feet with multiple interior walls was no problem. The major criticism I have is that calls on my iPhone are not routed to the headphones, not even the ringtone. When listening to tunes, the audio just fades to silence when a call is coming in.

The interface is entirely audio so it takes a little getting used to. Previous Worktunes had an LCD display but this one has a robot voice when tuning the radio or cycling through different modes. I do wish the controls were more recessed or less sensitive because it is easy to change channels or something inadvertently if you bump it.

Battery life is one of the best features. Works on 2 AA and it seems to go a long time. There's a Li-ion rechargeable pack that's available but I just use some Ni-MH rechargeables and I've had to maybe switch it out once in the last month with daily moderate use. There's an auto shut-off after 2 hours of no activity with a 10 second countdown warning if you want to override.

Bottom line is that it works well though I wish calls can be routed through them. 3.5/5 stars.

I've been using NoiseBusters for a few years.

http://www.amazon.com/NoiseBuster-Ca...ter+headphones

They do cancel the noise. I can listen to my music and drift off to my woodworking world.

They are heavy, hot, and corded, but they do cancel the noise.

I have changed my way of thinking lately.....

I don't want to cancel all of the noise. I want to hear my machines run.

My grandson got some of these for Christmas. I tried them out in the shop for a few minutes.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...nes_black.html

They are bluetooth, very light, and they will let me hear my music and the machines.

I have some on order (for $150)
    Dave....in Indiana

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a great believer in luck. The harder I work, the more of it I seem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Henderson View Post
    Nothing to add, it just seems to me that if you're in need to hearing protection, you're probably using loud machinery that you ought to be paying attention to for safety's sake and shouldn't be distracted by music. Certainly, there are exceptions, I suppose, but I'll just leave that there.
    Put me in the hypocrite category here. I'll listen to music in my muffs while operating any power tool in the shop. My helpers aren't allowed - even during sanding - since one of them burned up a vacuum due to inability to hear it "whine". The filter had over an inch of fines collected on it. My tools, my money, my rules. They don't know how to "feel" equipment.

Now watch me go burn something up today. Murphy loves me not.
    -Lud

I've got the Tough Sounds earphones. I've tried a few others and find these the most comfortable and they sound good.

Cliff
    The problem with the world is that intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence.
    Charles Bukowski

I have a pair of noise cancelling Sony headphones. They were not cheap, but work well and are pretty comfortable. I usually have on my glasses and my respirator in addition to the headphones when I use them.