Thread: Festool LR32 system and Bosch Router

Festool LR32 system and Bosch Router

Has anyone adapted a Bosch 1617 plunge router to the Festool LR32 hole drilling guide plate. If so, how difficult was it?
    Dick Mahany.

I have LR32, but not Bosch 1617. If 1617 round base's diameter is bigger than 5 1/2", there is no way you could install it on LR32 plate, because it will interfere with the rocker (long plastic piece which raises or drops the pin).

Otherwise, it is possible, but you would definitely need to drill some holes on LR32 plate to mount the 1617.

Quote Originally Posted by James Zhu View Post
    I have LR32, but not Bosch 1617. If 1617 round base's diameter is bigger than 5 1/2", there is no way you could install it on LR32 plate, because it will interfere with the rocker (long plastic piece which raises or drops the pin).

Otherwise, it is possible, but you would definitely need to drill some holes on LR32 plate to mount the 1617.
    Thank you for the info. I'm in the process of downsizing/relocating, so my tools are in storage and I need to make new shop cabinets, bookshelves, A/V cabinets and a slew of other cabinets. I'm wanting to use as many existing tools as possible, but really want to go the Metric / frameless way at minimal additional costs.
    Dick Mahany.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    Has anyone adapted a Bosch 1617 plunge router to the Festool LR32 hole drilling guide plate. If so, how difficult was it?
    I am using Makita rail guide with Bosch 1617 and Festool track. You need to add a small jig in order to lock it with holes on Festool's LR32 track, but that is trivial.

I don’t think adding a “jig” to a Makita router guide that indexes the Festool guide rail’s holes is trivial at all.

It hasn’t to be sturdy, easy to operate repeatably, and remain accurate. Otherwise, there are better and faster ways to drill 32mm system holes.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    I don’t think adding a “jig” to a Makita router guide that indexes the Festool guide rail’s holes is trivial at all.

It hasn’t to be sturdy, easy to operate repeatably, and remain accurate. Otherwise, there are better and faster ways to drill 32mm system holes.
    I will post some pics once finished...

A non-Festool jig can get you the same results for less money. For instance, here's the Woodhaven jig -- https://www.woodhaven.com/collection...nt=11922422980 . Get the longer jig, and a 5 mm plunge router bit. I use a upcut spiral solid carbide. Use any router that will accept standard template guides - your Bosch for instance. If you have a template guide set already, you don't need to buy Woodhaven's.

I had forgotten that I even asked this question in 2016. I did manage to get the Bosch router mounted to the LR32 plate and it centered perfectly using the centering disc for the LR32 system. I did need to trim one of the small webs that capture the auxiliary guide rods for the Bosch base but that hasn't affected performance.

I wound up getting the LR 32 system (albeit pricey) and it worked flawlessly and fast for a large build of cabinets. In addition to the shelf pin holes, it was great for adding the holes for Euro style hinge mounts and milling the 35mm pockets in the doors for the hinge cups. The doors were built several weeks after all of the cabinets were installed and I was super pleased with how perfectly the cup hinges aligned on the doors with out needing to measure for their placement.

Bosch 1617 on LR32 plate.jpg

Bosch 1617 on LR32 plate 2.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 05-22-2019 at 11:01 AM.
    Dick Mahany.