Thread: G0766 Grizzly Crating

G0766 Grizzly Crating

What have you done with the creating from your new G0766. I am making a roll around storage cabinet/sharpening station for my lathe tools. I will post pictures later.

2. I made a rolling tool cabinet with 4 drawers out of the crate my G0698 came in. I keep all my gouges, chuck jaws, and other various items in it. The cabinet is from scrap birch plywood, but all the drawer boxes are made from the crate. The crate from my G0766 is apart in pieces waiting to be repurposed.

This is an older pic, and I have a newer and much better grinder now with CBN wheels on it, but in case anyone wants to see it for idea purposes, here it is:

IMGP3097.jpg
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 01-21-2016 at 11:28 AM.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I have made a crude roll around storage cabinet for underneath my G0766, from the shipping crate. Very handy for all of the lathe accessories. I, too will post pictures later. I am hoping to make a few more bowls this weekend to add to the collection (I've made about 6 bowls, and 3 lidded boxes, and about 6 mini-bird house ornaments, so far).
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Nice cabinet Roger, mine will be made from left over plywood from other projects and the drawers from the crating.

planning to make a cabinet for under the ways once i can stop turning long enough to build one! I'm a few hundred bowls into the Grizzly and can't stop!

Mike, that's great, and quite impressive. Post pics of the stack. What a great machine. I hope I get snowed in this weekend, so I can turn a few more myself.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

IMG_0333 (Copy).JPGIMG_0329 (Copy).JPGIMG_0328 (Copy).JPGIMG_0326 (Copy).JPGIMG_0321 (Copy).JPGIMG_0325 (Copy).JPGIMG_0322 (Copy).JPGIMG_0323 (Copy).JPG

This is my current sharpening station.
    Grizzly create pieces
    Cabinet carcass
    Box joint for the drawers
    First drawer glue up
    First drawer install and next drawers to be installed on top
    Drawers installed
    Cabinet alongside of lathe. This is the side which will have a tool racks for immediate use.

The above do not follow any particular sequence because I had trouble inserting photos in the correct sequence but I hope they are self-explanatory.

I have also made two bowls which I will insert later.

IMG_0336 (Copy).JPGIMG_0337 (Copy).JPG

This is the new cabinet with the sharpening station and my roll around Grizzly tool cart which I use for individual projects. I still need to finish the drawer faces on the cabinet and the cabinet edges.

First two bowls from the G0766

IMG_0339 (Copy).JPGIMG_0343 (Copy).JPGIMG_0340 (Copy).JPGIMG_0342 (Copy).JPG

The first one is a maple burl. The second is birch which has been pierced using my Dremmel and various bits. The hole are irregular and drawn randomly. The bowls are roughly 9 X 5 and finished with waterlox. The maple was a challenge because the inside gradually disintegrated and I actually ran out of CA glue trying to stabilize the burl.

I very much like what you've done with both pieces...the burl is beautiful as nature provided while the embellishments on the second piece are just the right amount of touch in my opinion. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks John

Your input is exactly what our turning club had to say. The burl had so many voids inside that I did not expect.

couple pics of the stacks i've got going... a few dozen on the drying rack up in the garage that i've been unloading for final turning recently...looking pretty empty. and another bunch drying in the basement...this is the since-Christmas stack. i unloaded as many in the holiday sales.

And the third... shhhhh...don't disturb the Grizzly in it's natural habitat. i don't have a proper shop right now so i haven't made the time to rack my tools, etc. On my small Jet 1236 i made a cabinet and was pretty particular about tool storage and neatness. for now, i'm just enjoying the turning so much, i won't stop long enough to knock a cabinet together! we're planning to move in the next year and i'll finally invest some effort into a proper workshop in a separate building so i can have some room and can keep the mess away from the house. For now, tarps hanging from the ceiling do a pretty good job containing the chaos and i keep 2 dust collectors running to try to move some of the dust out. (makes for some cold nights with the garage door open!) still, this is how you'll usually find it... knee deep in curlies and happily filthy.

IMG_3298.JPG IMG_3300.JPG IMG_3299.JPG

Ah the bowl factory that sure will be difficult to move later on! Love the variety.

Right now I had to stop my project because I just got a package of mahogany gunwales of a 1940 boat from a boat restorer to make pens for him. He sends me wood about 4 times a year to make pens for his customers from restoration projects.