Thread: Is the Wolverine platform typically square?

Is the Wolverine platform typically square?

I am setting up my new Oneway Wolverine grinding jig. Unfortunately the platform support assembly is anything but square. It is significantly off in all three planes. Looks like it was not jigged properly during welding. I called Oneway and they very quickly offered to send me a replacement - great customer service.

So I am now wondering if I should expect the replacement to be square or not. Obviously one wants it square for lots of reasons.

Please share your experience.

I just set one up yesterday have not used it yet but it looks ok at least by eye

Not sure I understand what part is out of square.

But I've been using the Wolverine setup for a couple of years and have never needed to reference anything squarely to any part of the jig itself - for skews, I use their skew attachment; for gouges, I use the Vari-Grind attachment. I rarely use the flat "platform" with an adjustable angle except when sharpening a scraper, and even then, all I'm concerned about is the angle that the grinding wheel makes on the scraper.

So I'm not sure the issue you are seeing is really an issue or that it really matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Tippin View Post
    Not sure I understand what part is out of square.

But I've been using the Wolverine setup for a couple of years and have never needed to reference anything squarely to any part of the jig itself - for skews, I use their skew attachment; for gouges, I use the Vari-Grind attachment. I rarely use the flat "platform" with an adjustable angle except when sharpening a scraper, and even then, all I'm concerned about is the angle that the grinding wheel makes on the scraper.

So I'm not sure the issue you are seeing is really an issue or that it really matters.
    So sounds like you don't use or need the platform.

To be clear, it is the support arm for the tool rest platform that is fabricated poorly and it is badly out of square. It results in the platform not being parallel in the horizontal plane with the shaft of the grinder nor is it perpendicular to the plane of the grinder wheels.

For example, I cannot use the platform as a straight edge to true and level the Norton wheels (Geiger Tru-n-Dress diamond leveling jig). It would bevel them vs. making them square faced.

If it is not close to being parallel to the shaft of the grinder or perpendicular to the grinding wheels, it becomes almost worthless as far as I am concerned.
    Last edited by Alan Heffernan; 01-20-2016 at 4:36 PM.

Blog Entries
    Alan, I think you are talking about the #2242 platform accessory, yes? I would want that to be true. The fact that they are sending a replacement tells me that they think so to.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Ii have three mounts and platforms and they are all square, at least when checked with simple methods. Of course the mount must be installed square to the grinder. I mount mine on pieces of 3/4" plywood.

I like having the rectangular platform square for some types of sharpening and for truing the wheel with a single-point diamond jig that slides against the platform edge. For other types of sharpening I don't care so much.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Alan, I think you are talking about the #2242 platform accessory, yes? I would want that to be true. The fact that they are sending a replacement tells me that they think so to.
    Yes, the platform support for the assembly. Here is a photo of the assembly. The platform itself is square and its connection tab is milled square. It is the support arm that is fabricated off and causes the problem.
    platform.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heffernan View Post
    Yes, the platform support for the assembly. Here is a photo of the assembly. The platform itself is square and its connection tab is milled square. It is the support arm that is fabricated off and causes the problem.
    platform.jpg
    got it, thanks. Yes a replacement should be correct.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Heffernan View Post
    For example, I cannot use the platform as a straight edge to true and level the Norton wheels (Geiger Tru-n-Dress diamond leveling jig). It would bevel them vs. making them square faced. If it is not close to being parallel to the shaft of the grinder or perpendicular to the grinding wheels, it becomes almost worthless as far as I am concerned.
    Yeah, that's a good point. I use CBN wheels and don't have to worry about truing them anymore.

Yeah, that's a good point. I use CBN wheels and don't have to worry about truing them anymore.
    But even with CBN wheels having the rest true to the wheel face is needed for some applications. For example, I sharpen tools for my metal lathes. A simple jig made to hold the square HSS bits at the desired angle relies on sliding a lip along the rest.

I've switched to CBN also. With the CBN wheels the rest alignment is even more critical than the traditional dressable wheels since you can never true the wheel to the rest like I did with my single-point diamond jig. (I think the one I have is an older Geiger model)

JKJ

I had one sent to me here in Lima, Peru that had a bad weld. I contacted them and they promptly sent a new one that was welded correctly.
    Now, I'm starting to find that there seems to be a slight rise in the center that is directly opposite the location where the platform has the weld on the back for the bolt. But this I think I'll be able to correct, once i get my vertical sander built.
    Anything worth doing that requires cutting down a tree, deserves doing it right the first time.