Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Purchase advise (Bandsaw)

Where do people get the idea that Jet is a premium brand? Those days are gone. I still like Jet pretty well and recently bought a Jet J/P combo machine. However, they are just another inexpensive Chinese manufactured alternative. They typically cost more than Grizzly but I don't see any justification for that. Maybe that is the reason you see all sorts of recommendations on forums like this one for the G0555 but you hardly ever hear about the Jet cast iron bandsaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Contonio View Post
    Nothing against a bandsaw by any means. Do you have a table saw yet? If not, it would seem to me a much more versatile saw to start out with.
    Yes I have a table saw. Actually I have a Jet hybrid 1.5 HP table saw. Not the most powerful but it works well for what I need thus far. I have used it to resaw some red oak but that was a tough process. Fortunately the breaker panel is in the garage so that when I tripped the breaker it was but a moment to get things going again. Right now I'm in a half garage but still think a bandsaw & planer would be useful.

I have that Jet with the enclosed base & 6 inch riser block installed. It is a smooth running saw and I have experienced no issues with it. I resewed some 8 inch poplar yesterday easily, over that you just need to slow down some with the feed. The blade will have more effect on performance than any other part of the saw. As a hobbyist I use the "Wood slicer" blade and am very satisfied with the cut.I am also using "Cool Blocks" for guides. Learn to set the saw up and a good book to help with that is "The Band Saw Book" by Lonnie Bird. Glen is right on the resale, if you ever want to up grade to a larger saw. I believe that saw was made in Taiwan I know mine was. Much better quality than products from China. I see in the Grizzly catalogue they note where some of their machines are manufactured (china vs Taiwan). Have the owner run the saw for you with the guides pulled away from the blade it should be smooth & quiet. Good luck.

Price isn't a steal, but can be a decent saw.
    Bill's advice on checking it out is good -- make sure it runs smooth.
    Some other points:

• check if he has the table pin (looked like it was missing) -- this is meant to keep the two halves of the table in alignment. ~$15 to replace from WMH
    • Blades can go dull pretty fast; I'd only put value on unused blades
    • Those blades probably won't fit if you put the riser kit on
    • check that the blade guard stays in alignment when it is raised and lowered. if it moves relative to the blade, you'll have a lot more fiddling.
    • when you first arrive, see if he has left the blade detensioned (preferred) or if it was left with tension
    • take a close look at the tires -- $50 and some hassle to replace
    • if you haven't used a bandsaw much, ask the seller to show you how to set it up and get the fence aligned for blade drift.
    • even if you don't think you'd use a warranty, it can still be a point to raise in negotiation
    • do think hard about what you want to use it for. I did get a 14" saw initially (PM 044). Worked well for doing some curved artsy cuts. But really annoying to adjust the guides (think the Jet might be better in this regard) and table was small and... pretty soon found myself wishing I had something a bit bigger to mill some logs... but if you spend too much time here, you'll soon be talked into the startright (http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/5411171202.html) just so you won't regret it...

Matt
    Last edited by Matthew Hills; 01-21-2016 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Hills View Post
    Price isn't a steal, but can be a decent saw.
    Bill's advice on checking it out is good -- make sure it runs smooth.
    Some other points:

• check if he has the table pin (looked like it was missing) -- this is meant to keep the two halves of the table in alignment. ~$15 to replace from WMH
    • Blades can go dull pretty fast; I'd only put value on unused blades
    • Those blades probably won't fit if you put the riser kit on
    • check that the blade guard stays in alignment when it is raised and lowered. if it moves relative to the blade, you'll have a lot more fiddling.
    • when you first arrive, see if he has left the blade detensioned (preferred) or if it was left with tension
    • take a close look at the tires -- $50 and some hassle to replace
    • if you haven't used a bandsaw much, ask the seller to show you how to set it up and get the fence aligned for blade drift.
    • even if you don't think you'd use a warranty, it can still be a point to raise in negotiation
    • do think hard about what you want to use it for. I did get a 14" saw initially (PM 044). Worked well for doing some curved artsy cuts. But really annoying to adjust the guides (think the Jet might be better in this regard) and table was small and... pretty soon found myself wishing I had something a bit bigger to mill some logs... but if you spend too much time here, you'll soon be talked into the startright (http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/tls/5411171202.html) just so you won't regret it...

Matt

Thanks Matt

LOL I have the startright filtered out of my search results so I'm less tempted. Thanks for the check list I'll definitely make use of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Where do people get the idea that Jet is a premium brand? Those days are gone. I still like Jet pretty well and recently bought a Jet J/P combo machine. However, they are just another inexpensive Chinese manufactured alternative. They typically cost more than Grizzly but I don't see any justification for that. Maybe that is the reason you see all sorts of recommendations on forums like this one for the G0555 but you hardly ever hear about the Jet cast iron bandsaw.
    To be honest I've spent a lot of time looking at both Grizzly & Jet's website. My experience is limited really. I have a Jet tablesaw & dust collector. Previously I've used a craftsman radial arm saw, delta uni-saw & a delta bandsaw. It's possible that Jet is indeed taking the same path as delta did in terms of quality. The big reason that I like the idea of this saw is the mobile base & the riser kit and!!! it's a half hour from my house . There is a delta with a riser kit in WI about 2 hours away with a 1/2 hp motor and no mobile base. I like the idea of the saw with the riser because I'd like to be able to resaw some taller wood once in a while. However, I won't likely be a furniture maker of note so I don't want to spend my tax return on a new tool . (Which is why I appreciate Griz) I had a lot of WW tools given to me and so maybe my price threshold is low but I thought this one compared to the delta was a much better option with the larger motor. I also really like the smaller footprint that the 14" style saw has. I understand there might be slightly more flex than a solid piece like a Rikon or something like that but the 14" Rikon is $1200 if I remember correctly. There is a 14" Jet that can resaw 10-12" but that one is at least $1000.

That is a really interesting point. I do hear a lot more mention of Grizzly than Jet. And perhaps PowerMatic and Felder and Minimax too. My craiglist search is set up for bandsaw and all those brands but they haven't shown up for less than 1k except for a very old minimax in MI about 5 hours away.

Thanks for the help I do want a decent tool so I really appreciate your opinion Art & everyone else too.

Blog Entries
    I have the Jet band saw with the riser kit. I've had it for years. I'm not aware of any flexing. I have heavy duty spring in it. I've never had any issues with the saw except operator ignorance.

I would not be afraid of Delta either.

Daniel, FWIW, I have seen the 14" Rikon on sale for as low as $750 recently. You don't have to pay $1200. (And there are better machines to be had if you're going to spend $1200.)

I'd buy the one you saw for $500 if it checks out.

Fred

Quote Originally Posted by Julian Tracy View Post
    Unlike the Grizzly, it will ALWAYS be worth $500, whereas that new $600 Grizzly will be worth about $300-350 the minute it's bought.

JT
    Anyone with any 1 minute old Grizzly tools for half price please let me know.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Obviously an exaggeration, but the point is the Jet will lose none of it's value this year or in 5, the Grizzly at $780 cost will never be worth more than $400-450 tops.

JT