Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Homestead 40x80x12

Being from your neck of the woods, I know A LOT of pole barn builders - all with high reputation. If you want some names to expedite your build, just PM me. I understand you may be under contract.
    -Lud

Thanks man, but yep I'm under contract. Not worried though, I've got a good builder, checked them out thoroughly, they're busy most likely due to their rep. But yes, there are quite a few people out this way doing pole barns.
    Jeff

Interior wall covering

So here's another question for the forum.

I have been planning to cover the wall with 7/16 OSB due to the affordable price and painting it white. I've found a local supplier that has "liner panel" or 29 gauge sheet metal in white for $1.49 a lineal ft @ 3 ft wide sheets. So that's basically 50 cents a sq. ft. @ approx 2400 sq ft = $1200. OSB in my neck of the woods is only 11 cents cheaper a square ft, and then I have to paint it. So liner panel seems like a no brainer.

Pro's and con's of sheet metal interior vs. wood?
    Last edited by Jefferey Scott; 03-13-2017 at 7:16 AM.
    Jeff

Are you bookcasing with 2x6s between your poles or running purlins inside to attach the metal or OSB? Be forward thinking of rigidity and the ability to mount cleats or cabinets to those walls. Also, all your electrical outlets.

I'm shooting close-cell insulation on the walls and roof ($$$-but I need climate control for finishing). I'm not covering the walls after that except with cleats and cabinets/storage.
    -Lud

Probably run 2x4 purlins inside the posts to make steel installation easy. I can run a row of purlin at say 6 ft for cabinet french cleats or just screw through the backs of the cabinets into the purlin.

I was thinking fire safety with the metal vs wood interior. I will be welding, plasma cutting, metal fab in one end of the shop.
    Jeff

I dunno. Steel interior doesn't sound warm and cozy; it sounds hard and noisy. I see welders/metal fabricators/machinists all surrounded by wood. Maybe just treat the area where this will be set up. Are you going to cut out electrical boxes in that metal? Doesn't sound like fun to me.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

All steel inside might also be a fun environment relative to noise...and condensation...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

As long as you use insulation, condensation in a steel building is not a problem. Like the metal for lining the metal shop. Will you be using conduit to wire inside the metal?

Chris, you may have the answer. Just the metal shop area paneled in steel.

I agree with you too Jim. You have to watch out for condensation.

Aesthetics are important to me to a degree, but functionality reigns. I'm going to research wood products more thoroughly. If I had it my way, I'd do T&G pine horizontally on the whole thing. Strong and good looking, but no budget sadly for that.

As far as condensation, I'm having the whole barn covered in a product that reflects heat back out and is taped at the seams to prevent condensation. I believe it's called "Sol R Eclipse" or something like that. Spray foam has been considered, but now I'm reading where some steel manufacturers are voiding their warranties over rust issues with foam against the steel. It's hard to know who to believe with what you read on the Internet, but products like Double bubble seem to get rid of the condensation issues from folks I've talked to. I plan to use batts in the walls before I close them up, and when I close the ceiling down the road, I'll blow in loose fiberglass.
    Jeff

Spray foam is the way to go, IMO. You can really seal it up tight and have a nice high R value in a typical 2x4 bay (up to low 20s with closed-cell). I would just triple-check with whomever's steel you go with to be sure all is well with them. I have personally never heard of such a thing but then again I'm not building a steel building. Insulation will certainly help mitigate condensation. After all, condensation is a result of a large temperature difference between a surface and the surrounding moisture-laden air.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Their spray foam guy does closed cell @ 1.13 per sf @ 1 inch thick. At that price I can only afford 1 inch everywhere, walls, ceiling. Is it even worth it for just 1 inch? I know that's R7
    Jeff

You can buy pretty good fiberglass for 1.13 per square foot. Especially if you have a menards store nearby.

No Menard's close by Jim. I'm just wondering if 1 inch of spray foam will help with building rigidity. I know it will seal well, but is it worth it just as a moisture barrier, sealant, and with panel rigidity?
    Jeff

Closed cell foam does add significantly to structural stiffness, but 1" is going to do as much as a thicker application would. I love the stuff, however, and am so glad we used it for our home addition a few years ago.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Layout

I've been mentally setting up how I want my shop to be laid out. I'm using the Grizzly Shop Planner to place my various machines. I've got some heavy duty storage racks up against the walls on on the woodshop end. All of my tools are on wheels so I can re-arrange as needed. The other end of the shop is the metal fab area. I've got a drill press, welder, horizontal bandsaw and welding table in there. I've also drawn a freestanding wall to try to confine the metal shavings and grinder grit to that area. The unused area is for future expansion (plasma table?) or family get togethers and parties. I've always planned for it to be a multi use facility. Here's the initial layout, I'm sure there will be revisions to come.

shop rev 1.jpg
    Jeff