Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Oklahoma Homestead 40x80x12

For those that are following along with the shop build out, the final phase starts in one week. I will be framing the entire shop for interior walls first, then running 750 ft of electrical wire and 30 receptacles along the walls as well as ceiling drops for 240V and 120V in key areas. I'm also adding 16 new LED shop lights. Also running Rapidair Maxline compressed air distribution system in the walls to each shop and the paint room.
    After all that we will be closing in the shop walls with OSB (budget friendly) with 7/16" sheets on the top and bottom of the walls and 5/8" in the middle for more "meat" in attaching fixtures and such. And finishing the wall that adjoins the tiny house with steel just like the paint room. I decided against steel wall coverings everywhere due to noise reflections and difficulty in attaching stuff to the walls. The OSB means I can hang anything anywhere. I haven't decided whether to paint it yet, I've been going back and forth on it, going to wait til it's up first and see how it looks.
    Once this is all done, the shops will be fully functional and ready to build stuff.
    Pictures to come. Stay tuned.
    Jeff

Paint it, Jeff...and do that as soon as it goes up for simplicity and before you do your electrical terminations. An airless sprayer will make quick work of the job and you'll appreciate the better quality of light from having those walls painted. The paint will also help reduce (but will not eliminate) the tendency of OSB to "splinter". (It wasn't designed to be an uncovered surface)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, paint it. I had OSB up for a while and then painted it. Huge improvement.

I painted my OSB shop walls with ordinary sheetrock type primer. I got a "deal" on 5 gallons of it. Anyway, for some reason the strands delaminated here and there during the paint dry process. It's not horrible but it's there and noticeable. I'm not sure if it was the "primer" that did it but I don't know what else it might have been. If I do that again I'll ask the paint guys at Sherwin Williams or Kelly Moore. Sometimes maybe the paint guys at the big box stores are making it up as they go along.

I don't like the PVA wall primers for anything. I never use it. I don't have any recommendation other than that though. I have never sprayed OSB.

Blog Entries
    I sprayed mine with latex primer and then semigloss white latex all in one night. No delamination at all. I think if there's delamination, is a problem with the OSB.

I'm planning on spraying Kilz oil based because of the stories I've read on latex as a first coat. Yes it's a pain to clean up with the sprayer, but I want the best coverage I can get that won't affect the OSB. I see a lot of people having success with Kilz or Zinsser oil based material. Kilz oil based is cheap @ $75 for 5 gallons, i'm going to try 2 coats of that to cover and then some latex semi gloss top coat in white.

I plan to hang a lot of painters plastic to keep the overspray off my machines and stuff on my storage shelves. That's the only negative about spraying. I've got a bit over 2000 sq ft of wall space to paint, i can't see rolling that much osb, that would be a chore.

Thank you all for your input, I see the benefit in painting.
    Jeff

I think oil based is the best choice for a primer. I would use supplied air to spray that, but I have a low-tech supplied air system that I use for such jobs.

A half gallon of thinner should do the cleaning. The hard part is figuring out where to spray it. Take the tip guard off, and clean that and the tip separately, and it won't go all over everything as it's being run through the pump, and lines without the tip on the gun.

If that pump is one you add pump oil to, it would be a good time to top it off before spraying oil based.

Framing Complete

I knocked out the interior framing in the barn for the OSB sheathing this weekend I took the week off from my day job and will start wiring all the electrical tomorrow. I hope to get that phase done before I go back to work. After that comes the OSB and paint. This 57 year old working solo is tired!

20190317_155827.jpg20190317_121313.jpg20190317_155740.jpg

I also made a base for the shop sink I scored last week. The spindly legs it came with just didn't cut it for me.

IMG_20190317_182807_862.jpg

Jeff

Awesome job...and wow, nice sink score, too!
    --

Hi All,

Been a while since I've posted. Haven't done much to the shop until yesterday due to health issues. My son came out to the shop and helped me put up the first 3 ft course of OSB. There will be two more 4 ft courses after this to take the wall up to 11 ft. This was probably the most fussy course as it has most of the receptacle boxes needing cut out. Next up are thicker 5/8 sheets for the middle course, I'm using 7/16 for the top and bottom.

20190430_102835.jpg20190430_102815.jpg
    Last edited by Jefferey Scott; 04-30-2019 at 11:41 AM.
    Jeff

Making progress!
    Hope you're feeling better.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Making progress!
    Hope you're feeling better.

Thank you kindly, Bruce.
    Jeff

Just out of curiosity, why the different thicknesses for the OSB on the walls?

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick McCarthy View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why the different thicknesses for the OSB on the walls?
    Cost and less weight to lift for areas where the wall surface will not be supporting anything. I believe he discussed this earlier in the thread.
    --