Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 91516171819

Thread: Oklahoma Homestead 40x80x12

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Cost and less weight to lift for areas where the wall surface will not be supporting anything. I believe he discussed this earlier in the thread.

The thicker OSB will be from 3 to 7 ft on the wall. That's my target area for hanging stuff and I think it will hold screws a little better. It's about 3 bucks more than the 7/16 sheets, but I think will be worth it. Good question!
    Jeff

2nd course of OSB and finished electrical

Update: 2nd course of 5/8 OSB is up on the walls. Pic below. The third and final course which will be 7/16" will go up in a week or so. My progress has been slower but steady. I finished the electrical buildout in the shop and you can see in the pictures, the overhead drops to various equipment. I have 3 - 120v and 240v drops in the wood shop. They are for the planer, jointer and tablesaw. I also have 3 - 120v drops in the metal shop for grinders etc.

The 120v drops are made to be used by rolling the workbench next to them and then using sanders, circular saw, dust collector, etc. This is an effort to keep extension cords off the floor. They are all twist lock outlets with 9 ft detachable drop cords. They can be raised and hooked as shown to keep them out of the way, or completely disconnected if I need to move the gantry crane around. As far as strain relief, I'm going to work with them and inspect them regularly to see what effects freely hanging has on them. I can add strain relief easily if it becomes an issue. I don't plan to put and appreciable weight on the drops.

I have about 16 - 120 volt outlets around the walls of the shop to plug in addition to the ceiling drops, and a 50 amp 240 volt plasma cutter and welder outlet in the metal shop.

20190512_103312.jpg20190511_140437.jpg20190512_103041.jpg20190512_103508.jpg
    Last edited by Jefferey Scott; 05-15-2019 at 7:56 AM.
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefferey Scott View Post
    I have 3 - 120v and 240v drops in the wood shop.

20190512_103312.jpg
    Those twist lock receptacles will not hold up well at the ceiling. They are not built to withstand the inevitable tugs & strain from long suspended cables. Better to hard wire the cord into the box & then use a cable grip to take the strain. Cheaper too.

I have to agree with Frank on this...strain relief is pretty important and twist locks are only twist locks to keep them from easily disconnecting, not for supporting the connection's weight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim, could you check my account. I can't DM anyone or see my posted pictures. Thanks
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    Jim, could you check my account. I can't DM anyone or see my posted pictures. Thanks
    You need to be a contributor to see pictures, I don't know about DMs. It was a very recent policy change.

Also need to be a contributor to send or receive DMs. That rule has been in place a bit longer than the picture rule.

As was noted by others, photos and private message access now requires contributor status. Click on the Donate button at the top of any forum and become a Contributor. It's only $6 a year.
    --

Thanks for the info guys. I'm a contributor now!

As far as the strain relief concerns, I understand. I can easily modify the design to accommodate that. No worries. One more course of OSB and the shop will be fully functional. I'm looking forward to it.
    Jeff

Thanks for your contribution!

For the drops, you can choose a length down from the strain relief that has the female twist lock just high enough as it hangs so that there's no chance of whacking your noggin but low enough that your can comfortably reach and plug/unplug it. That way, if you have to move things around from time to time, you don't have the hassle of dealing with them. You may want to put in some overhead air that way, too, although there are nice retractable solutions for that.
    --

Walls are done

Quick update: The walls are done. All OSB is installed now. I need a rest. lol

20190531_132716.jpg20190531_132733.jpg20190531_132756.jpg
    Jeff

Yea...that's a lot of work because of the lifting and awkward handling while getting it fastened up there! Bravo on a fine job.

And now...a whole lot of paint is indicated. Airless Spraying is your friend!
    --