Thread: Sanding a bathtub

Sanding a bathtub

I know they can be refinished (lose long term durability)or have an insert made (expensive).
    I have a very old cast iron porcelain tub that in good condition except that the finish is rough which makes it difficult if not impossible to clean well. Looks a bit grungy after much scouring. It has no chips or cracks or rust. Since its old and probably has a thick layer of porcelain I was thinking of sanding with my ROS using very high grit paper. I know it's available up to 6000 grit at least. Is the worth a try or is it a disaster in waiting? Not sure what my starting and finishing grits should be. Anyone attempt this or have advice?
    Last edited by Michael Weber; 01-19-2016 at 11:48 PM.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Is the original surface rough? Or is there a layer of hard water build-up sitting on top of the surface? I would try the remedies for removing calcium build up before attacking the porcelain surface.

Steve

Embarrassed

Well, I'm very embarrassed. I actually ask this question here a couple of years ago. Found it when I googled it this morning. Jeez, it's a good thing I still have a sense of humor because all the rest of them,including memory, are totally shot. Too late to delete. Sorry
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I'm with Steve, try a lime remover first. Porcelain on cast iron is a glass surface, both very tough to roughen and going to also be hard to smooth. Rather than a sander I'd be looking at a glass polishing agent like cerium oxide (available on Amazon) used with a polishing pad on a ROS-- try it by hand in an inconspicuous area first.