Thread: Getting Object to Scale into Corel

Getting Object to Scale into Corel

I want to engrave the attached knife scale. What is the most accurate way to get it into Corel at 1:1 scale?

smooth-all.jpg
    3 X Speedy 300 80w
    1 x Speedmarker 700 FL 30W
    1 x Speedy 400 120W
    1 x Speedy 360 50W Fiber
    1 X Speedy 100 60W
    Roland LEF 12 UV Printer
    HP 360 Latex Printer
    Graphtec 8600-160

I do this all the time. All I do is put the knife (or whatever) on my Canon printer's scan bed and scan it. The image I get in Corel is exact size.

From there I place the object in the laser where I'll engrave it (usually 2" right and 2" down from the top left corner using 3/8" thick x2" aluminum shims)..

then I put 2" and 2" guidelines in Corel, rotate the image as necessary to match the actual part, place the image against the guidelines, then lock the image.

Place your engraving withing the image, run a painters tape test run after you're finished with the engraving layout, then edit if needed. Most times with odd shaped items, no editing IS needed.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by kev williams View Post
    i do this all the time. All i do is put the knife (or whatever) on my canon printer's scan bed and scan it. The image i get in corel is exact size.

From there i place the object in the laser where i'll engrave it (usually 2" right and 2" down from the top left corner using 3/8" thick x2" aluminum shims)..

Then i put 2" and 2" guidelines in corel, rotate the image as necessary to match the actual part, place the image against the guidelines, then lock the image.

Place your engraving withing the image, run a painters tape test run after you're finished with the engraving layout, then edit if needed. Most times with odd shaped items, no editing is needed.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    this it work great
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I do this all the time. All I do is put the knife (or whatever) on my Canon printer's scan bed and scan it. The image I get in Corel is exact size.

From there I place the object in the laser where I'll engrave it (usually 2" right and 2" down from the top left corner using 3/8" thick x2" aluminum shims)..

then I put 2" and 2" guidelines in Corel, rotate the image as necessary to match the actual part, place the image against the guidelines, then lock the image.

Place your engraving withing the image, run a painters tape test run after you're finished with the engraving layout, then edit if needed. Most times with odd shaped items, no editing IS needed.

Thanks I will give this a try will this also work on a handgun?
    3 X Speedy 300 80w
    1 x Speedy 400 120W
    1 x Speedy 360 50W Fiber
    1 X Speedy 100 60W
    Roland LEF 12 UV Printer
    HP 360 Latex Printer
    Graphtec 8600-160

You just have to make sure your scanner is scanning the image in at the same resolution Corel is setup at. If you are scanning at different resolutions, then it will change the size. Scanning does work well.
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

A Hand gun will be more difficult because its 3d and bulky but it will work. What I have done is lay the object on the scanner bed and cover it with a very dark cloth. Try to make sure no light seeps in from the sides. It will give you a good outline of the gun.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Thats a good idea with the black towl. I wonder how a 3D scanner would work for something like a handgun?
    3 X Speedy 300 80w
    1 x Speedy 400 120W
    1 x Speedy 360 50W Fiber
    1 X Speedy 100 60W
    Roland LEF 12 UV Printer
    HP 360 Latex Printer
    Graphtec 8600-160

My scanner inserts scanned images at exact size no matter the resolution of the scan- only difference is higher res looks better (and takes more time to scan)

-- I just checked, and in my scanner driver settings there's an 'output size' option, with actual height/width dims of the bounding box you're scanning into, and I can choose output % size- mine's set to 100%... I've never noticed it before!
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Ya! I keep my scanner and corel at 300 dpi. bitmaps scanned and imported always come out exact. If I have a number of pieces to do, I use bezier points to outline it with a hairline, then cut one out of scrap plexi, and check the fit. (adjust and laser trim as/if needed) once the fit is right, I add the info as needed to the first outline, then duplicate it as many times as I can, and cut a multi piece template out of scrap. Insert the objects, and engrave away. And, save the digital template for the next time your doing the same job. The original template is charged to the customer as part of the setup costs.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Blog Entries
    if you have to photograph it rather than scan it be sure to include a good ruler in the photo so you can use that to scale the image once it is in Corel. Not perfect...but it will work get you pretty close.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Just last night I had to do this very thing, customer wants his name/address on some giveaway knives for a show this weekend-

I just put the 2 knives in the scanner, made sure they were as straight as possible on the scan bed, this is a screenshot is the result-

I just positioned the logo and wording to fit the blades, piece o' cake... I started with the small knives, and once clamped in the holder
    I located the corner of the grind bevel with the red dot, put some guidelines at those coordinates (as shown above) and moved everything to the guidelines--
    and repeated the procedure for the bigger knives...

and the engraving lined up perfectly!

FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

Blog Entries
    Very nice Kev!!
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Just wanted to point out that I'm using a relatively inexpensive Canon Pixma inkjet printer with a scan bed on top,
    doesn't matter the resolution or any other settings, as long as the output size is set to 100% (arrow)
    it always scans into Corel at exact size. Makes it pretty easy!

scanr.jpg
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter

For larger projects in Corel.... I did this Sign project and needed scale of the building for the Township Sign approval.... I placed a 4 foot Florescent Light box at the foot of the building and took a picture. Brought the picture into Corel and made 1 foot = 1 inch in Corel. Placed the letters and calculated the size.

AL
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 01-23-2016 at 2:07 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".