Thread: Best tools for this job...

Best tools for this job...

Hi everybody. I have a product in mind that I am trying to figure out how to create. I'm hoping you guys could tell me the best method for making it happen.

I know this is created with sheets of Baltic Birch in what looks to be 1/8 inch (3 mm) thickness. So do you think this is laser cut? Or done with a CNC? Or something else?

Virgin_Islands_Wooden_Map1.jpg

Thanks,
    Gary

Laser cut baltic birch. It's a shame they did all that work but were too lazy to quickly run over the last layer with a sander.
    Equipment: IS400, IS6000, VLS 6.60, LS100, HP4550, Ricoh GX e3300n, Hotronix STX20
    Software: Adobe Suite & Gravostyle 5
    Business: Trophy, Awards and Engraving

yes laser cut you can tell by the charred edges and residue left on the surface. I agree pretty lazy not to clean it up.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Blog Entries
    And Green for the ocean depths? Curious choice.
    Gary...have you looked to see if anyone is doing this in your area? These are becoming fairly common now.
    And are you aware you can get the digital elevation models from US Geologic Survey for free? Assuming they are the resolution you want that saves you a ton of time.

Good luck! And for what it is worth, I sure agree with the gang above. Sloppy work not to take care of the smoke residue. Easy enough to deal with either before or after cutting and engraving.

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by David Somers View Post
    I sure agree with the gang above. Sloppy work not to take care of the smoke residue. Easy enough to deal with either before or after cutting and engraving.
    Another agreement here.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

And Green for the ocean depths? Curious choice.
    Gary...have you looked to see if anyone is doing this in your area? These are becoming fairly common now.
    And are you aware you can get the digital elevation models from US Geologic Survey for free? Assuming they are the resolution you want that saves you a ton of time.

Good luck! And for what it is worth, I sure agree with the gang above. Sloppy work not to take care of the smoke residue. Easy enough to deal with either before or after cutting and engraving.

Dave
    Hi Dave,

I am not actually copying this design but I do want to create multiple levels like in the picture. I agree that they should have taken care of the smoke stains.

Thanks,
    Gary

Blog Entries
    Hey Gary!

Those Digital Elevation Models I spoke of are basically a digital topographic map. All the contours are there for you. You can edit contour lines out as needed to get at the number of layers you would like. A Google search on USGS Digital Elevation Model will get you there. Even with a modest amount of editing on your part it sure beats sitting down with a paper map and a digitizing tablet. Unless you are a very zen-like person of course. <grin>

Dave
    900x600 80watt EFR Tube laser from Liaocheng Ray Fine Tech LTD. Also a 900x600 2.5kw spindle CNC from Ray Fine. And my main tool, a well used and loved Jet 1642 Woodlathe with an outboard toolrest that helps me work from 36 inch diameters down to reallllllly tiny stuff.

Sloppy work not to take care of the smoke residue. Easy enough to deal with either before or after cutting and engraving.

Dave
    They may have left the smoke residue on purpose. Maybe the client thought it made it look like an old-timey parchment map.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Johnson View Post
    They may have left the smoke residue on purpose. Maybe the client thought it made it look like an old-timey parchment map.
    I agree looks better with an aged look.

Blog Entries
    Good Morning Ian and Roger!

Good points! Not to my particular taste for this kind of work, but I understand! A feature of laser work I will keep in mind depending on what I do.

Dave

Remove because it upset Bert

.Touchyyyyy....
    Last edited by Mark Sipes; 01-19-2016 at 4:56 PM.
    Mark
    In the Great Northwest!

Trotec Speedy C25, Newing-Hall 350 (AMC I & HPGL), NH-CG-30 (Carbide Cutter Sharpener)
    Sawgrass 400 Gel Ink Printer, CS5, 5/9/x6 CorelDraw

Oh yea now there claiming you can thrive in business making tons of money with it. give me a break?
    Sorry lets refer back to that thread and not make this a glowforge thread may we should remove the link!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sipes View Post
    GLOW FORGE use 3d as there sales pitch.

https://glowforge.com/

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander