Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6" Rockwell Delta Jointer

What do you guys think about the spin on the head?
    https://youtu.be/13T9kVsHd_c

The bearings are dry, there should be some resistance due to the grease. Cost should be less than $15 for both and a hour of your time. Bearings are wear items, they need to be replaced ever 20 years or so.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by M Toupin View Post
    The bearings are dry, there should be some resistance due to the grease. Cost should be less than $15 for both and a hour of your time. Bearings are wear items, they need to be replaced ever 20 years or so.

Mike
    So how do I figure out the build date on mine. Before 65 or so, they used 2 slightly different ones. After that they were the same. Serial number is fn-3996 made in Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Akers View Post
    Serial number is fn-3996 made in Pittsburgh.
    Very end of 1968

Mike

Very end of 1968

Mike
    Awesom, Thanks!

Ok another question: I've got the cutter head out. I've got a puller ready but how do I get the bearing retainers off? Use the puller on it as well. Thought I would ask before I damage something.
    2016-01-21 10.05.24.jpg

You get the bearing retainers off with a heat gun or hair dryer. They slide right off. Get them nice and warm.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ok cool. Got those off but my puller is too big... guess HF or amazon here I come.

Not to hijack Brian's post.......Here is the jointer that my neighbor is going to give me that I made reference to in an earlier post witin this thread.
    The blade guard has been broken off and is gone. It was attempted to be repaired by brazing - that was 30 years ago prior to my neighbors ownership.
    He does have an extra cutter head. (only one blade)

It's very sharp and I know he has used it.
    A 3/4 hp 115/220 motor. Currently wired for 220.
    No blade guard is a little scary.
    I did find at vintagemachinery.org the manual. In there they show this model with the steel frame. I'd guess that was a cheaper unit than a cast iron frame.
    In the manual they talk about whetting the knives by stroking a stone across the knives. Another method is described as jointing the knives by doing it with the cutter head revolving. That sounds risky/scary.
    Comments welcomed.

image2.jpgimage1.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice little 4" jointer from 1968. It looks well cared for and you have all the original parts save the porkchop guard. The cast iron bases were from an earlier era, the steel base you have replaced them. Don't sweat honing the blades it's not necessary.

Without knowing when the bearings were last changed I'd swap them out. Bearings are wear items, if you wait till they go bad then you risk the bearing spinning on the shaft and destroying the head. Never could understand why someone would risk that for $15 or less of bearings considering a new head would cost many times that if you can even find one but to each their own.

As far as the guard; put up a BOYD request (the owwm equivalent of the "wanted" adds) or look on Ebay. They are fairly common so it shouldn't be too difficult to find one and shouldn't be very expensive. Other than that put it to work. Had one for many years, they are fine jointers.

Mike

My bearings came in today! Ideas on pressing these in without an actual press?

Short answer is Heat & Cold. Check out the video below for the basic principle but keep in mind that's a big bearing and the shaft is room temp. You can do the same thing without special bearing heaters etc. Put the shaft in the freezer for a couple of hours and then find an old fashioned incandescent bulb, preferably 75-100 watts. Place the bearing on top of the bulb and let it heat for about 5min. Once you bearing is good and warm pull the shaft out of the freezer and drop the hot bearing on. It'll slide right on, no muss no fuss. Just make sure you wear leather gloves, the bearing will be HOT! And make sure the shaft is clean with no burrs. You're looking for a temp of around 200ish. Take a damp paper towel and touch it to the bearing. If it sizzles it's ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o6tB4H04Mw

Mike

Short answer is Heat & Cold. Check out the video below for the basic principle but keep in mind that's a big bearing and the shaft is room temp. You can do the same thing without special bearing heaters etc. Put the shaft in the freezer for a couple of hours and then find an old fashioned incandescent bulb, preferably 75-100 watts. Place the bearing on top of the bulb and let it heat for about 5min. Once you bearing is good and warm pull the shaft out of the freezer and drop the hot bearing on. It'll slide right on, no muss no fuss. Just make sure you wear leather gloves, the bearing will be HOT! And make sure the shaft is clean with no burrs. You're looking for a temp of around 200ish. Take a damp paper towel and touch it to the bearing. If it sizzles it's ready.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o6tB4H04Mw

Mike
    Awesome! Thanks Mike! I'll put the head in the freezer tonight and put them on in the morning.
    Favorite line in that video: "machinery is always talking to you"

go over to owwm.com lots of info over there

Thanks Simon!

Couple of more questions:
    For those that have used the same jointer, what did you do about dust collection?
    2016-01-28 09.51.15.jpg

Also the pully on the motor is a little wobbly. The post on the motor is dead straight so it's just the pully. Is this acceptable wobble or need a new pully?
    https://youtu.be/m_ycS4gs9NE