Thread: Grizzly G0529

Grizzly G0529

Anybody have one of these machines? They don't seem to get talked about much, but to me it seems like a great machine, in theory. I currently have a Rikon 50-120 combo machine, as well as the Ridgid spindle sander whom everyone praises. Problem is, I find that I hardly ever use the belt sander (6"x48") of the Rikon, and have never used the belt portion of the Ridgid (I bought that specifically for the spindle. I have a small shop, so I am thinking of selling both of them, and getting the G0529 to save space.

g0529-1a7784e0e13a921ab338651f35209cbe.jpg

Lets hear it.
    Last edited by Michael Stein; 01-15-2016 at 2:30 PM.

Michael,

I have one and it has worked well.

Glenn Bradley IIRC has one too. He probably uses it more than I so I would get his opinion too.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Michael,

Glenn Bradley IIRC has one too. He probably uses it more than I so I would get his opinion too.
    Do you also have a separate belt/edge sander, or is this your primary stationary sander? As I said, I don't use the belt portions often, however, I know if/when I get rid of them, several projects will arise where they are necessary.

That is my primary sander. I do have a hand held belt sander and a ROS. I will say the disk sander on this can be really aggressive. My primary use of it is for the OSS. Dust collection is so-so. It's not perfect but it's not bad either.
    Ken

I'd love to have the G0529. I have the Ridgid spindle/belt combo machine and never use the belt. The spindle seems passible but that's about as high as I would rate it. I have the G0512 edge sander and could not imagine being without it. 1001 uses for both wood and metal. I think ditching the Ridgid and adding the G0529 to the stable would cover any sanding operation I could imagine.
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 01-15-2016 at 9:53 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I have the Ridgid and rarely use the spindle. Most of the stuff I do can be done on the flat and curved edges of the belt.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stein View Post
    Anybody have one of these machines?

Lets hear it.
    I do ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Michael,

Yes, I do ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Stein View Post
    Do you also have a separate belt/edge sander, or is this your primary stationary sander? As I said, I don't use the belt portions often, however, I know if/when I get rid of them, several projects will arise where they are necessary.
    OK, sorry for fooling around. Short story is that I have the machine and really like it. I would recommend it.

The long story is that I thought I needed a spindle sander . . . I bought the little Ridgid belt/spindle machine and it was great for the price, weight, etc. What I learned is that I needed an oscillating belt more than I needed an oscillating spindle. I picked up an oscillating belt sander and my shop-life was greatly improved.

Now having a more substantial oscillating belt made me realize that I could do better in the spindle department; I just needed something a little beefier. I also had the standard little belt/disc combo that so many of us have or had. Real estate being at a premium I passed the Ridgid and the small belt/disc along, bought the G0529 and have been happy ever since.

I did add drawers as mentioned above and made it mobile. It is positioned so that I only have to move it when long unwieldy shapes are being worked. I also modified the dust collection at the spindle area since I use my DC instead of a shop vac. The velocity of a vac would probably overrule the open from of the spindle are under the table but, a simple baffle makes the DC work admirably. You can see the hoses and adapters slung over the top (stored position) in the first pic. You can also see that I added drawers to the base; nothing gets to take up floor space in my shop if it doesn't earn its keep through providing some sort of storage ;-)

G0529 Cab (17).jpg . G0529 Cab (18).jpg . G0529 Cab (26).jpg
    G0529 Cab (21).jpg . G0529 Cab (20).jpg

Here's a dovetail-way accessory that comes in handy.

Disc Sander Jig v1 (6).jpgDisc Sander Jig v1 (5).jpg

In the third pic you can see the stacking tables I added to avoid wearing out a small portion of the drum when working with thin stock. I also have a narrow clearance top for very small items and a simple fence of sorts to allow me to edge sand with better control. Please let me know if you have any specific questions.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-16-2016 at 10:10 AM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Here's the dust collection mod. I assume the machine is designed with this massive opening for shops that don't use any DC(?).

G0529 (1).jpg

Apiece of scrap 1/8" luan ply cut to size glued to a strip of 3/4" play with two magnets inset.

G0529 (2).jpg

This makes all the difference in the world to your dust collection.

G0529 (3).jpg

It is very easy to take out and set aside when changing drums. To re-install you just get it in the general area and the magnets snap it into place.

I also made this disc cover.

G0529 (4).jpg . G0529 (5).jpg . G0529 (6).jpg

The first time you touch your belly (or anything else) up to the disc while using the spindle, you'll understand why ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 01-16-2016 at 2:18 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Glenn, thanks for posting the modification for your DC on the spindle sander! I will be acquiring some rare earth magnets to do very something similar!

Haven't had the belly problem yet but I am still using the original cabinet.
    Ken

Glenn and Ken,

Thanks for both of your insights. I think I am going to try to pass the belt/disc combo and the ridgid on, and pick up one of these machines. Probably won't happen tomorrow, but would like to make the move in the near future.

I will be bookmarking this, and putting some of Glenns tips to use.

Thanks again.

Resurrecting this thread, although it may be better to start a new one.

Does anyone else make a spindle/disk sander combo machine? If not, why? This machine makes much more sense to me than the popular disk/belt combo...

I just sold my Rikon combo machine today, so now I am on the hunt.