Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Strange question re: Oscillating Spindle Sander

I hope you bought two of them. I find that when i buy only one (nut, bolt, c-clip, cotter pin, clevis pin, whatever)--history repeats itself. When i buy two, i never need the second one...until 15 minutes after i lose the spare!!

earl

Quote Originally Posted by Earl McLain View Post
    I hope you bought two of them. I find that when i buy only one (nut, bolt, c-clip, cotter pin, clevis pin, whatever)--history repeats itself. When i buy two, i never need the second one...until 15 minutes after i lose the spare!!

earl
    Everytime I buy and of the listed above, I purchase AT LEAST one, typically two spares. For the extra .14 it costs, its typically worth it.

If not I received the exact same Wen sander Friday. Unpacked it but have not used it yet. Let me know if the nut does not work and Monday I can tell you what it is.
    I've never been poor only broke. Poor is a state of mind, broke is a temporary situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Every shop should have one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Magneti...scoping+magnet
    Before I read the replies to the OP, I had that very item queued up for my response. I carry one in my pocket all the time. I've been through several over the years, but they've saved my bacon more than once.

My other suggestion would have been to buy several nuts each of sizes close to what you think it is, in both metric and standard. Cheap insurance.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

+1 on what Earl said. Especially being so inexpensive. And to what Ken said.....things always end up in the middle of the car on the floor, or some equivalent hard to access location. In my job I have a telescoping magnet that can pick up several pounds that has saved me many times. Hope your back in business now though.

I hope you bought two of them...
    +1000. Need a "like" button for this.

earl

Even if I purchase extras I'll never find it when needed!!!

Just a note McMaster Carr would have that size and I bet even in different grades. They have just about everything when it comes to odd fasteners.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

For anyone interested in the sander, I have the Triton version of it. It appears to me that it is identical to the one that Harbor Freight sells, sometimes as low as $79-89 on sale.

Nut should be M10-1.5 regular thread

Larry

OK - so here's the strange outcome of this saga:

Got home with the left hand thread M8 1.25 nut (and yes, I did purchase two while I was there; if I lost it once...). But the bolt, it turns out, normal right hand thread. It is indeed M8, 1.25 so I was able to replace the missing nut fairly easily at the small-town hardware store in town over the weekend without hassle.

I do find it interesting, however, that different labels of this otherwise-identical machine would have different size bolts in the spindle.

I also bought an M8 1.25 wingnut to use on the top of the spindle when I'm using the larger diameter spindles (larger than the outer-most diameter of the wing nut) just to make switching it out a little easier.