Thread: Delta Unisaw Mobile base that actually works. 55" Side table as well.

Delta Unisaw Mobile base that actually works. 55" Side table as well.

I got so tired of the mobile base that was made for the unisaw with the 55" extension that I was going to build a complete new one. As I was drawing it I came up with a solution that was ten time easier and only took a half day to build. It moves so easy my wife can move it about by herself.
    IMG_8165.jpgIMG_8164.jpgIMG_8166.jpgIMG_8167.jpgIMG_8168.jpgIMG_8169.jpg

Howard Boehm
    Pictures of Projects can be seen by clicking on My Profile and then Clicking on Howard Boehm's Home Page.

Tools: I would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

That's what I need. I'd rather have the 360 casters on mine instead of doing the back and forth to get it where I want it. Changed the shop layout before and it wasn't fun. Where did you get the casters?

Michael

I got them at Linco casters in San Diego. here is a link to the type of caster I used. They have dual wheels which are great on garage floors when you go over a joint in the concrete. Smooth as silk over the joints.
    http://www.zoro.com/medcaster-dual-w...1g/i/G1764147/
    Last edited by Howard Boehm; 01-14-2016 at 9:33 AM.

Howard Boehm
    Pictures of Projects can be seen by clicking on My Profile and then Clicking on Howard Boehm's Home Page.

Tools: I would rather have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

Great solution to the Delta mobile base mobility issues Howard. Did you consider using wood rather than steel tubing to create the mobile base outriggers? I don't see reference to this modification on your home page, have you deleted it? What wall thickness tubing did you use for the outriggers? 0.120 tubing seems like overkill, is that what you used?

Great suggestion, due to the poor quality of the Delta base the saw has been a large obstacle, this is a great improvement.

I got the tubing at Industrial Metal Supply, 1 inch Square and I believe it was 11 gauge. I had them cut the length I needed. Al I had to do was drill the holes. I was going to make a whole new base out of oak. As I was drawing it up I was looking at the old base and thought if this works using the steel tubing this will be a very quick project. It works extremely well.

Howard Boehm

Thanks for the link. going to use them on my SS.
    Michael

7. Nicely done Howard!

just wondering how high the base is off the floor with your new setup? ( space between floor and bottom of base)

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darin McConnell View Post
    Nicely done Howard!

just wondering how high the base is off the floor with your new setup? ( space between floor and bottom of base)

Thanks!
    Its about 1/2 inch higher than it was with the factory base.

Howard Boehm

Looks good. Any issues with tripping or kicking the wheels at the front?