Thread: Want to build a Canoe but clueless about boats

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The earlier post about size and displacement being important to consider reminds me of the first strip canoe I built in 2014, a Wee Lassie II from Mac McCarthy's book. I am just over 7 feet tall and when I paddled this canoe my feet and eventually legs would go to sleep since they were up in the bow where the bottom was quite V shaped. I was fine for about 1/2 hour at a time, but then I would have to get out, otherwise when I did get out after a longer stint I would be unable to stand. Falling over backward into a lake is not a terrible experience, but it's a bit inconvenient at times. In 2015 I built a Kite (designed by John Winters) on the recommendation of a much more experienced builder, and it is both much more comfortable and handles much better. It's designed as a high seat solo but I use mine as a pack boat with a low seat due to my size. I've had it out in Lake Ontario in 2-3 foot waves pretty safely, but only for a mile or two at a time. It also does well in rivers or tight areas because it has differential rocker that makes it easy to spin around but it also tracks pretty well. I highly recommend the Kite, especially for taller/heavier people who may not fit in smaller designs nicely.
    Zach
    Attached Images Attached Images