Thread: Did I make bad mistake on face frame

Did I make bad mistake on face frame

On the face frame in picture, the middle stile is 6 1/2" wide. It is mortise and tendon with glue to rails as well as jack miter for the bead. Last night I set it in place against the box and was planning the runner installation for 2 drawers when all of a sudden I realized how wide the stile is. This scared me because it is fixed so can not expand and contract with humidity changes. The reason it is so wide is because a 3 1/2" x 3 1/2" leg will be centered on it which will leave 1 1/2" of the stile exposed each side of the leg. The leg will be notched so it sits under the cabinet with 7/8" thick face of the leg extending up the face of the stile.

If I need to do something to prevent the stile from cracking, I am thinking I can cut the stile vertically 1 5/8" in from each side so the cut runs from top rail to bottom rail. The cuts will be covered on the outside by the leg and the leg will be attached through the center portion of the stile. I was also planning to glue the leg to the stile. If I cut the stile, the leg will only be glued to the center portion of the stile. I would not be cutting the top and bottom portion of the stile (tendon) where it buried in the rail.

The stile on the right side is 3 1/4" wide and connected to the rails with through tendons at top and bottom. It will also have a similarly attached leg with glue and screws. Now I am starting to worry about it too.

Do you think I have a problem and if so do you think the solution I am thinking about solve the problem? Is there a better solution?

The face frame is 7/8" thick and wood is cherry.

Thank you
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wouldn't worry about it.

Nice work; please post some finished pics when you're done.
    - Mike

I agree very nice work. I too would not worry about the stile but the the drawer openings look pretty wide (+24"). What will they be used for?

Mike

Beautiful. Cherry is pretty stable and when finished I would not believe it would crack. I've built a lot of passage doors with 8-9" stiles and none have cracked yet. Dave

With a more-than-one-coat finish applied to all surfaces and furniture living in an AC environment, I would very surprised to see sufficient movement to crack something.
    David

Bob, nice work and really like the cockbeading (unless it is called something else when on the frame rather than the drawer, but you get the point).

Nice work. I wouldn't worry. Just make sure you finish both sides.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thank you for your compliments and guidance. I am going to continue as originally planned. Regarding the drawer width, they are 29 1/2" which I understand is pushing it a little but will have good runners and be in my kitchen. If something doesn't work right, I will live with it and learn. The alternative of smaller drawers was not good. I don't know what the drawers will be used for but will only be 5" deep on inside so not much weight. It will be kitchen island.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it.
    Ditto...cherry is a softer wood and very stable in my experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    Thank you for your compliments and guidance. I am going to continue as originally planned. Regarding the drawer width, they are 29 1/2" which I understand is pushing it a little but will have good runners and be in my kitchen. If something doesn't work right, I will live with it and learn. The alternative of smaller drawers was not good. I don't know what the drawers will be used for but will only be 5" deep on inside so not much weight. It will be kitchen island.
    Pics when finished please...

Nothing to worry about..Your door will cover part of that width.
    Jerry

Blog Entries
    You have completely screwed it up. There is no saving it. But I am here to help. Just send it to me postage paid so that no one you know will ever see how badly you screwed it up.

Your welcome!
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Browning View Post
    You have completely screwed it up. There is no saving it. But I am here to help. Just send it to me postage paid so that no one you know will ever see how badly you screwed it up.

Your welcome!
    You're a prince, Larry.