Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: My First Workbench Build - A Journal

Thanks, David! Sounds like that's going to be the way to go. I'm thinking if I do sink the inner chop into the bench so that it's flush, I'll make it flush with the end, too. This pine is soft enough that I'd worry about that small leftover section breaking off at some point. Or I could just make that cut go all the way to the end of the bench to avoid the issue.

Monster bench Patrick. Just think what someone 100 years from now says - "what were they thinking when they built this tank?".
    David

Blog Entries
    Looks fantastic Patrick!
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Those legs are scary looking Patrick. They make the Benchcrafted leg vise hardware look, at the very least, inconsequential if not downright wimpy. What is that cloverleaf gizmo sticking out?
    David

That's one SOLID bench, Patrick! Nicely done. What material did you use for the legs?

I ended up getting my vise installed tonight. I chopped out out the material behind the metal vise jaw and set the vise back into the bench top. I still want to thin down the inner jaw a bit. It's super-thick because when I made it I didn't want it to flex at all. But, it's hard maple, so I'll probably thin it to half of what it is now (about 2" thick).

Last edited by Eric Schubert; 12-06-2017 at 11:28 PM.

Eric bench looks great. Satisfying isn’t it.

You had more courage than me cutting the classic Roubo double tennon.

Forgive me posting to your thread.

I went back and read a bit and realized I had posted to the wrong thread.

Anywho I deleted it as to not make a mess for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Walsh View Post
    Eric bench looks great. Satisfying isn’t it.

You had more courage than me cutting the classic Roubo double tennon.

Forgive me posting to your thread.

I went back and read a bit and realized I had posted to the wrong thread.

Anywho I deleted it as to not make a mess for you.
    No worries, Patrick! I was wondering if that was the case, because it seemingly came out of nowhere. But I'm glad I got to see your bench. It's simple and monolithic. That thing will last for centuries!

The tenons and mortises were challenging. I'm pretty sure I gained a few inches on my biceps from cranking my 1-1/4" brace bit!

Eric - A few holdfast holes and you have a workbench. Congratulations on bringing the long journey in to the finish line. That bench will do for a long, long time. Good on you.
    David

Thanks, David! I'll likely add these on an as-needed basis. With as little experience as I have, I don't really know where to add holes. But, I do have a pair of holdfasts ready to use!