Thread: Pen making questions.

Pen making questions.

Got some pen making questions!!

I got some store brand pens from one of those Dollar stores. They work really well, and have the rubber grips for your fingers to grab onto when using the pen.

Questions...

1. If I wanted to turn some wood pens of the same shape and size as these cheap Dollar store Gel Pens, does anyone know where to get the rubber grips ?

2. What is the best lathe pen duplicator attachment for pen making ?

Penn State Industries, Woodturningz, Craft Supply, etc. have pen kits. One of the styles of pens I turn are the Comfort pens which come with the rubber end near the tip. I like the rubber on cheap pens, but I haven't made any with the rubber. I always turn the pen with all wood and leave the rubber off it. Ge; refills you can order on ebay. Some of the sellers have large quantities for decent pricing if you end up getting into pens.

I started making and selling pens to have a lower priced product to attract people to my booth at craft and art shows. It gets people interested and pays for my booth.
    Last edited by Rich Aldrich; 01-09-2016 at 4:49 PM.
    Thank you,

Rich Aldrich

65 miles SE of Steve Schlumpf.

"To a pessimist, the glass is half empty; to an optimist, the glass is half full; to an engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." Unknown author

same shape and size as these cheap Dollar store Gel Pens
    Personally, I'm not sure why you would go to the trouble to make a pen, and then make it like a cheap dollar store pen. People buy them because they are cheap, and if they quit working, easy to throw away!

Aim a bit higher, and do not try to make them exactly the same. A turned pen should be a bit unique and/or different to stand out better. Put your blank on the lathe and turn it, and how it comes off is how it is. Then turn another, and another, and another. Some will be similar, others won't.

Plus, you will NEVER be able to turn them, as cheap (cost) as a dollar store pen.

Once you get into it, you will enjoy making your own designs.

Good luck.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

If your interested in pen turning along with what has already been suggested look into joining the International Association of Penturners. You can see lot's of great pens and ask questions from some of the best. Several here including myself are members there as well.

I bought a few of the comfort-style pen kits however as mentioned earlier, I also wound up not using them as they made a nice pen look cheap. Those rubber grips are now just rolling around in my spare parts box.
    Dick Mahany.

Take the rubber grips off the dollar store pens.
    Turn more pens and duplication will be second nature.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    If your interested in pen turning along with what has already been suggested look into joining the International Association of Penturners. You can see lot's of great pens and ask questions from some of the best. Several here including myself are members there as well.
    +1 on what Ronald says. You can find them at www dot penturners dot org.

"The best things in life are not things."