Thread: Up on a stick. .

Up on a stick. .

Up on a stick. 5 1/2" diameter Padauk hollow form with Purple Heart. WTF not buffed out. Have edited this post with the help of others. Much appreciated Allan.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Allan Ferguson; 01-09-2016 at 4:51 PM. Reason: Rotated images
    C&C WELCOME

The third has the most accurate color because flash was used and the camera automatically knows the correct white balance for its flash. For other photos, it has to try to guess the correct white balance. The camera is apparently having trouble figuring out what white balance to use (probably just due to the fact that everything in the frame is naturally warm colored), so you could try using some of the other (non-auto) white balance settings.

I'm confused. What is the third image? I only see two.

Edited thanks.
    C&C WELCOME

The easiest way to get the correct color is to use a grey card to set your camera, or just have the grey card in one of the photos and shoot in raw mode (so you can post process the picture at your computer or pad).

Grey cards are cheap and you can pick one up in a camera store, or amazon, B&H photo etc. The reflect 18% of the light, and the camera can use the card to calibrate the system. If you ever shot black and white with the zone system, the grey card is zone 5 (on a 1-10 scale).

If you don't post process, and just let the camera set the color, look in your manual or google for "you camera type" and "grey card". It will tell you what buttons to push to setup up the calibration. I use olympus OM D M1 and a panasonic gx8. If you use one of those, I would be happy to look up the steps for you.

Michael

PS. John, I really like your photo cube setup. With a setup like that, you would only have to balance your color once for the setup and go. That is very slick. Thanks for sharing.
    Last edited by Michael Schneider; 01-09-2016 at 2:17 PM.

photos of woodturnings

What camera? Will it help with setting the white balance?

All of the DSLRs I have used in the last 15 years or so do this basically the same way: you set up your lighting, position a sheet of white paper in the light about where the object will be, then shoot a picture just the paper filling the frame.

The camera will then let you use this to set a custom white balance. Results are variable if you light with some fluorescent bulbs since their color spectrum can be crazy. Works well with incandescents and photo CFL, white LED, etc. I use bright full-spectrum photo CFLs I bought from Amazon:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000UCKP8U
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000W07Y5M
    I sometimes add reflectors or other lights for highlights.

In case anyone is interested, a diffusing photo cube can be made quickly from a few pieces of PVC water pipe and some thin white cloth. I usually use two lights, one on each side. The diffusing action of the cloth can make even light and nice shadows. I use this for all photos that will fit inside. A curved piece of matt board from the art store makes a seamless background. I use a tripod and release the shutter with a remote cable to minimize camera shake. (Mostly use a Canon 70D)

The photo cube set up on my table saw:
    photo_cube.jpg

Showing the shadows:
    crops_2015_fanB_IMG_4718.jpg

JKJ

I may have to break down and buy a photo tent. My money and efforts have been on tools etc for the shop. Photos have trailed along behind. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

is your post intended to critique your photo skills or the piece in the photo???

It would be nice to get feedback on the piece in the photo, the photo quality input second. Allan
    C&C WELCOME

nice looking piece
    however to my eye the vessel itself looks a bit top heavy.
    also the base (Not the spindle) may look better if the diameter was larger and a bit more tapered without the pronounced 90 deg edge
    just my 2 cents.
    again a very nice looking piece as a whole