Thread: hand crank bench grinder

hand crank bench grinder

I have tried to post a picture of the grinder I have, but have been unable to. Not sure if it is because this is my first post on here. But, here we go. I am not sure of the make of the grinder but, there is an unidentifiable label on the handle side that looks like a squished diamond but otherwise unreadable. On the other side it has "BK22" on the housing just below the shaft. My problem is that the shaft is bent and I don't know how to remove it. It may have been pressed on as it isn't held in place by a set screw. I'm wondering if I can just tap it out with a hammer. Any info would be helpful. Thanks

I've taken a couple of those apart, I remember one of them at first seemed like it would not. But it did. That's all I got,good luck and welcome!

Blog Entries
    Howdy William and welcome to the Creek.

Here is an old post on including pictures in your post:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...s-of-June-2011

There has been a change to the software since then, but it is pretty much the same. One problem is if you have large image files you may need to change them to a jpeg before they will upload. There is a limit of 8 images to a post if my memory is working. It is possible to upload two images at a time.

There are a few different makers that used a diamond in their logo. Knowing who made it wouldn't likely shed any light on the situation unless someone had the same model.

Be careful if you do attempt to tap the shaft out of the handle with a hammer and punch. The housing is likely made of cast iron and easy to damage. You will need to find a way to support the handle while preventing the body from falling to the floor. If you know someone in the auto repair business you may be able to borrow a gear puller to do the job. I have an inexpensive tool used by plumbers to remove stuck faucet handles that might also work. My recollection is it cost $10 at Home Depot. The end of the shaft may be mushroomed as part of the manufacturing process. If this is the case it may need a bit of filing or grinding before removal.

Let us know what happens.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 01-08-2016 at 7:06 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks all for the info. I will make sure that I support the body during the attempt. Now I will attempt to get a pic for you all.

Grinder 4.jpggrinder 3.jpg
    I finally figured out what I was doing wrong attaching images. I hope these pics help you understand my grinder.

I would just muckle onto the handle and bend it straight. The shaft is no doubt mild steel and can take at least one more bend before breaking.

To clarify, it is the shafts for the wheel and not the handle.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Treacy View Post
    To clarify, it is the shafts for the wheel and not the handle.
    It is difficult to troubleshoot without being there. It appears there is a nut on the outside of the case. Is this part of the shaft you are trying to remove?

What can happen if the shaft is worn is a groove forms on the shaft. It then tends to mushroom at the edges of the groove trapping it inside the bushing. In this case you might feel some play up and down and side to side on the shaft.

It looks like something is mounted on the shaft. Can that be removed?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

The nut is part of the shafts and I removed the piece covering the shaft. I think the next step is to try to remove the shaft by using a tool to pull it as it appears to be pressed in. There are no screws holding it in. It will take me a couple of days to get a too for that.

As you're waiting to obtain a tool to pull the shaft, keep using penetrating oil to loosen rust/crud.

Good luck!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Treacy View Post
    The nut is part of the shafts and I removed the piece covering the shaft. I think the next step is to try to remove the shaft by using a tool to pull it as it appears to be pressed in. There are no screws holding it in. It will take me a couple of days to get a too for that.
    Does the shaft rotate or is it stationary?

If it rotates, it isn't pressed in.

jtk

I maybe confused a little. The shaft rotates but only in conjunction with the rotation of the crank handle. I don't see anything that would keep it in.

I think that what's keeping the shaft in is the gear on the end that engages with the main gear. You'll have to remove the handle and take the main gear housing apart to remove the shaft. There should be 3 or 4 screws holding the housing together.
    As far as straightening the shaft goes, I don't know what to tell you there. Jim may be right and the shaft or housing are worn, and that is causing the wobble. You'll know when you get it apart.
    Hope this helps.
    Rick

Update

I believe tat either the shaft (axle) or the housing is worn which means i am out of luck with losing the wobble. I have removed the piece mounted on the shaft. It holds the ball bearings between the housing and the flange for the wheel. This piece looks like a fabrication to replace the original bearings that came with the grinder. The original bearing should have slid directly onto the shaft to sit between the housing and the wheel. I've come to this conclusion based on looking at a thousand other grinders and having the only one with that odd looking piece. Below are some pics that show the bearing piece and where it sat on the housing (the shiny part)
    Attached Images Attached Images