Thread: Having an issue with RBI Hawk 226 scrollsaw

Having an issue with RBI Hawk 226 scrollsaw

Hello everyone, glad to finally be a part of the Sawmill Creek community.

I bought a lightly-used Hawk several months ago from my boss, and I love it when it's working right. However, it has a tendency to suddenly and without warning just start wildly sawing at a high speed without regard to what the speed is set at. I've done some internet research, and haven't found anyone else experiencing the same problem. I have no idea what it could be. Any thoughts? I uploaded a nine-second YouTube video showing it doing this right away when I flipped the switch a month or two ago, but I didn't want to break any rules by posting the link here. If I hear someone tell me it's OK to do so, I'll add the link. Otherwise, I can send the link to anyone who thinks they might be able to help through a private message.

Thanks for your help. I really don't want to get rid of it, I like scrolling and I don't want to give it up so soon after really starting to do some projects.

Chris

I have that exact scroll saw and have never had problems like that with it. Sounds like a control module problem. Contact the manufacturer. I think RBI sold out but someone took the product line and is still making them

And welcome to the forum.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Chris...if it uses a speed control (potentiometer) it sounds like the pot is dirty. That is a common problem in electronics. You can try gently varying the speed control from one end to the other end of it's movement range several times and see if that effects the symptoms. I have had limited temporary success cleaning those pots with spray electrical contact cleaner. Usually the final fix is replacing the potentiometer.

Good luck!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Chris

Contact RBI - they are alive and well. The got'cha will be the age of your saw. If it has a AC motor/controller, the repair could be spendy, as they don't have parts for those. If it's got a DC motor, they will likely have parts. There is a 'break' in the serial numbers, where they made the transition.

My saw is a 220VS, and has a serial # of 260xx - mine is in the transition range, but is AC.

Good luck

Jim

Here is the contact information for the Bushton/RBI saw customer service. A phone number is on that page if you want to call them.

http://www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/...ontact-Us.html

I too believe that your problem is likely a dirty/defective speed potentiometer. Sometimes, just turning the knob back and forth many times will wipe off the corrosion. Sometimes it may take a spray of contact cleaner (from Radio Shack) through the opening where the electrical connections come out, may be required. After the spray, move the knob back and forth many times. Sometimes the only solution is to replace the potentiometer. There are numbers stamped in the side of the case, and using these numbers can sometimes allow you to buy a replacement from an electronics distributor like Newark, or Allied Electronics. A less likely, but possible source is Radio Shack.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 01-09-2016 at 10:40 AM.