Thread: Watco wop

Watco wop

Any turners use Watco wipe on poly? Does it work OK?

Dave,
    I don't use WOP but have ask them about danish oil and got this reply, I don't know if that would apply to wop.

"Thank you for contacting Rust-Oleum Product Support.

Our Watco Danish Oil is completely non toxic and safe for children's toys, once it is fully cured. However, this product is not approved to be used on items that will come in contact with food. We hope this information has been helpful. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Since the products are not FDA approved, they are recommended to be near any type of food. However, I would assume fruit would be okay in the bowl, if you were going to peel or wash it, prior to eating it."

"The only product that we have that is compliant to use on food prep or storage pieces would be our Watco Butcher Block Oil. It can be safely used for butcher blocks, cutting boards, salad bowls and other wooden items that require a food safe finish. More information can be found at the following link. http://www.rustoleum.com/product-cat...il-and-finish/ . "

The answer is, as with most woodturning questions...it depends...

I know that seems like a cop out, but it really does. You didn't say what the bowl's intended use would be. Does it work OK in what sense?

Does it wipe on smooth and leave the advertised finish? With multiple coats and some very fine sanding in between, yes, it does what it is advertised to do. Can it yellow over time? Yes.

I wouldn't use it for salads. Film finishes have a tendency to flake off. I wouldn't worry about fruit because once it is cured, something just sitting on it like an apple won't cause it to flake off.

I'm not a huge fan because to me, it feels very plastic and I prefer a more organic feel when I handle a piece, but that is just me. I know a lot of people that use it on hollow forms and do very well with them at shows. The general public tends to like shiny.