Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Build a Kayak ?

Don, it's as I stated, the kayak only weighed 60lbs when completed. It seemed to be easy enough to handle at that weight, because of the length of the kayak itself. One person could easily handle it, I loaded it and unloaded it many times by myself. As for having time, you've got all kinds of time. You could always build the top half, then build the bottom half in a year or two times. You could hang the half you complete, from the rafters or ceiling of your shop. This is what I did with a canoe, that I started building to late into the season.
    Len

Len
    Interesting- 60 lbs and 15’ sounds like something doable as far as handling the Kayak but don’t know much about building one.
    There are many Kayak plans for sale, however at this time, It would be difficult for me to pick one suitable for me. In other words, experience is what I need most.
    Don;t get me wrong, really enjoy building things and have enough tools to make a Kayak but do not want to spend a lot of time making something not suitable for me.
    You apparently have enough knowledge and skill to make a very usable Kayak by looking at one and perhaps you used that one successfully and liked it. I don;t have any to try or copy at this time.

Do you have any photos of your build or of the finished Kayak? If so I would like to see them
    Also, any information you offer will be apprecyated.

Thank you

60 pounds for a 15 foot kayak is heavy. Have a look at Pygmy Boats stitch and glue kits. My 17 Ft 6 in Coho built about 10 years ago weighs in a little over 40 pounds. Their 20 Ft Osprey double is 60 pounds.
    http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...x1zkD3hbBkO0gA

For the OP, you might want to look into the "Sea Island Sport", a sit-on Stitch and Glue Kayak by "Chesapeake Light Craft".
    15'-6" long and 27" wide, it weighs 48 Lbs. Worth a look IMO, Very nice lines and should meet your requirements.
    Mac

I've built three from Chesapeake Light Craft. Can be seen on my FB page. Kim Edward Haubert. My very first wood project was a kayak. They have a decent forum for kayak questions.

I have been off the Forum for several days and this response is greater than I imagined.
    Our dog was sick, took her to the Vet, and was told to come back in two hours. He wanted to observe her reaction to some injections. With only two hours to wait, not wanting to drive 20 miles to home and back again, I ended up at a nearby silent auction and of all things, a stick-built 11.5 ‘ canoe was there.

It has a cane-like seat about 3” above the floor and looks like a good first kayak/canoe. I had 20 seconds to place a bid - which I did and ended up with it. At that time, I did not realize it also came with a double paddle, two floor stands, and a ceiling hoist system.

Picked up the dog who was diagonosed with an allergy (she is OK now) and with the canoe on top of our 4-Runner, drove home wondering where to put it. Because it started snowing, it ended up in my already overloaded basement. It is still there waiting for me to find a more suitable location.

More to follow.

IMG_1534.jpgIMG_1532.jpgs
    Last edited by Don Rogers; 01-24-2016 at 10:33 PM.

The pictures in my post above do not show the entire canoe because it is difficult to take photos of it due to it’s being crammed in the only space available. The length is 11.5’ and it;s width is 27” at the widest point. The double paddle (not Shown) is made of wood and is about 10’ long. There is no identification on the hoisting system but it is identical to the kayak/canoe model shown on the Hoister web site and appears to be like new. One of the floor stands is shown in the picture.

The only cross brace is shown in the seat picture. Looks like it serves as a back rest (ouch). Probably needs a cushion.

A brass plate on the bow shows the maker's name and a 1991 date. That makes it 25 years old.
    It seems in very good shape for that age. Although it is seaworthy (figure of speech) I will probably refinish it with some marine or spar varnish before trying it out this Spring.

The canoe is not a kayak but should at least serve as a test boat to see if I really can sit in that position and paddle it for any length of time. That is a big concern of mine.

I’m happy with this canoe because it will answer lots of questions for me.

Pleas post your thoughts and comments.

Doug;

"60 pounds for a 15 foot kayak is heavy. Have a look at Pygmy Boats stitch and glue kits. My 17 Ft 6 in Coho built about 10 years ago weighs in a little over 40 pounds. Their 20 Ft Osprey double is 60 pounds.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...x1zkD3hbBkO0gA"

That link os a great one. I just spent almost all morning looking at Pygmy and watching some of the related videos.
    The "Stitch and tape" with plywood construction is another method I will Consider.

Thank you/

Len,

I'm retired and really don'r have any extra time. In fact I don't see how I ever found the time to work before retirement. HaHa - just kidding - but in a serious way.

Thanks for your suggestions. The approach of building the deck half and then later the hull half or vice versa is another method I had not considered. Maybe that's the way to do it. Since I just got the canoe I will have more time to think about the type of kayak and type off construction. I defiantly want to make one now.

Mac

"For the OP, you might want to look into the "Sea Island Sport", a sit-on Stitch and Glue Kayak by "Chesapeake Light Craft".
    15'-6" long and 27" wide, it weighs 48 Lbs. Worth a look IMO, Very nice lines and should meet your requirements.
    Mac"

I will do that - Sounds good also.

Kim

"ve built three from Chesapeake Light Craft. Can be seen on my FB page. Kim Edward Haubert. My very first wood project was a kayak. They have a decent forum for kayak questions.

Thanks for that testimonial. I will also look into your FB page - if I can - I have never used FB.

Your input is very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Rogers View Post
    Doug;

"60 pounds for a 15 foot kayak is heavy. Have a look at Pygmy Boats stitch and glue kits. My 17 Ft 6 in Coho built about 10 years ago weighs in a little over 40 pounds. Their 20 Ft Osprey double is 60 pounds.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&...x1zkD3hbBkO0gA"

That link os a great one. I just spent almost all morning looking at Pygmy and watching some of the related videos.
    The "Stitch and tape" with plywood construction is another method I will Consider.

Thank you/
    I've built the Pygmy "Golden Eye" in S&G and it is a very nice paddling kayak. Reasonably easy to build.
    Mac

Len,

I'm retired and really don'r have any extra time. In fact I don't see how I ever found the time to work before retirement. HaHa - just kidding - but in a serious way.

Thanks for your suggestions. The approach of building the deck half and then later the hull half or vice versa is another method I had not considered. Maybe that's the way to do it. Since I just got the canoe I will have more time to think about the type of kayak and type off construction. I defiantly want to make one now.
    Double paddle canoes are basically a very old design and typically they were decked w/ a coaming to disperse spray, something you could easily add to the canoe you purchased.
    Mac

Mac,

Sounds like a good idea to me but I'd better wait until I try it out the way it is first.

Do you know of any plans or other information for a Canoe like this? It is 11.5' long by 27" wide at its widest point.
    Since, as you say, it;s a very old design, there should be some information available. I am very much interested in reading more about it.
    Last edited by Don Rogers; 01-26-2016 at 3:54 PM.

Mac,

Sounds like a good idea to me but I'd better wait until I try it out the way it is first.

Do you know of any plans or other information for a Canoe like this? It is 11.5' long by 27" wide at its widest point.
    Since, as you say, it;s a very old design, there should be some information available. I am very much interested in reading more about it.
    When I stated Double Paddle Canoes were a very old design, I was speaking in
    general terms, I believe DP canoes originated back in the 1800's.
    Your new canoe appears to be a "Mac McCarthy" design, the dimensions are
    spot on and the lines looked very familiar to me as a group of guys and myself
    built one and raffled it off for charity at a boat building show years ago. The design was
    featured in "FeatherWeight Boat Building" by Mr. McCarthy, it's called the
    "Wee Lassie". I believe the book is still available. Good luck.
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 01-26-2016 at 11:37 PM.