Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Build a Kayak ?

Anyone Build a Kayak ?

Anyone Build a Kayak ?

Just mildly considering building a Kayak and would like to know your experience in doing so. I have never used one but am interested in the relatively low weight of a strip-built Kayak compared to a manufactured fiberglass (or whatever plastic type material) one. It also sounds like a decent Neanderthal project.

Being a senior citizen, I may or may not use it myself but I’m sure my two sons would like it. My aged eyes make smaller projects difficult and I’m thinking such a project would be more suitable. I believe I have most all of the required tools.

This week, I got a birthday present of Kayak lessons which primed my interest in making one. I intend to schedule the lessons during a warmer season (19 deg. F here this morning).

Any information you have will be appreciated. I have too many questions to ask specifically.

Don,
    Last year I made 2 skin-on-frame kayaks. They are nothing more than wood strips lashed to plywood forms then covered with fabric and painted.

They are not necessarily great for white water kayaking but for lake and open seas they are great. The best thing is that they are only 25-35 lbs! So a single person can pick it up and put it on top of the car.

Good luck.
    Phil

I have made a number of strip built ones and would restate everything Philip did above about them except they are made differently. Highly recommend the process and the boats are beautiful. It will likely cost more to build than to buy, but you don't get the benefit of doing a job well and having all at the lake ooo and ahh over your creation(s).

Russ

Quote Originally Posted by russell lusthaus View Post
    It will likely cost more too build than buy

Russ
    I've never built one but from other experiences, it will cost more to build than buy.

I've built a couple, neither strip built.

The first was a mahogany ply stitch and glue that took roughly 100 hours to build and 100 hours to finish. A beautiful boat results- stunning to look at and very fast. (no photos I'm afraid) Not too good in larger waves as I intentionally dropped the foredeck in the style of the Betsie Bay boats http://www.bbkayak.com/valkyrie.htm No regrets and I paddle the boat regularly. Performance depends on the boat design of course.

The second was a skin on frame, similar to what Don described, but somewhat truer to the historical methods. Steam bent oak ribs lashed to a pine frame, covered in canvas. No glue or metal fasteners. Leather and bone deck fittings. Took perhaps 75 hours. Custom design to anthropomorphic principles- length 3 arm spans, width hips plus two fists, depth a fist with extended thumb, etc. This results in a boat that getting into is like pulling on a pair of jeans, i.e. very tight for good control with the hips. I ended up tearing the skin off after several years and hanging the frame on my garage as decoration. It was just too high performance for enjoyable paddling, especially living where the water is cold most of the time. Again, selected design dictates performance and paddling experience.

I enjoyed the building process and the result in both cases.

20070913_0002_1.JPG

A post in the boat building section might bring more results.

Quote Originally Posted by mark kosse View Post
    I've never built one but from other experiences, it will cost more to build than buy.
    I've been doing a lot of research and plan on building one next winter. If you mill the cedar yourself, I think you can build one for around $500. But expect to spend 300-400 hours.
    If you don't count the hours, $500 is at the lower end of kayak prices.
    Gerry

JointCAM

Anyone Build a Kayak

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions. I had not considered “skin - on - frame” construction but will search for information on that method. Sounds like that may be the way to go. It also sounds like everyone who had made a kayak, enjoyed doing so and also enjoyed using the finished boats.

I’m not surprised that the cost of making a Kayak may end up more than buying one commercially made. Almost every time I looked into making something myself, that appeared to be true, especially if one considers his time. But, that’s not as much fun.

George, thanks for the tip on posting my question on the “Boat Builders” part of Sawmill Creek. I had forgotten about that forum. It is a great idea and I will try to have it moved even though I learned lots from members of this forum.
    Last edited by Don Rogers; 01-06-2016 at 8:08 PM.

Blog Entries
    If you can find someone with a set of molds you can lay glass & or kevlar fabric on them, saturate it with resin and when it dries pop out the two halves joining them at the seam. Usually with this method there is also a mold for the seat and combing that just hangs in the hole in the deck. This is the way the very light boats are made.

The skin-on-frame concept was what we used at a Scout camp the year before last. We built a boat, from start to water in 3 hours. It's made from a pile of sticks, a ball of cotton string, a few 1X3's, a roll of plastic, and a handful of screws & nails. If we had used better material and more time we would have had a fairly nice craft, but for the purposes of a demonstration it was awesome.

paddling3.JPG

Darrell
    Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User

Mike

I have not progressed that far at the moment but molding is another method I will consider. No ribs to add to it’s weight.

Years ago I had a Scorpion type sail boat that was made with an outside mold. Polished metal I believe. This produced a finished outside surface which could also be colored as desired by adding pigment to the mxture. And I remember seeing a large pile of hardened expandable foam just outside their back door. It provided a place to dump buckets of the mixture if it was made up earlier than it could be used. Lots of running was involved.

I bought a sail boat from them that same day and had loads go fun with it.

Thanks for your suggestions

I have not progressed that far at the moment but molding is another method I will consider. No ribs to add to it’s weight.
    Strip built kayaks don't have any ribs.
    Not sure where you would find a mold?
    Gerry

JointCAM

Darrell

hat is similar to the construction method I saw about 2 years ago at the Klingspore/Hickory Show. Perhaps the only difference is in the fabric covering. It was magical because it was a heat-shrinkable material applied almost loosely over the stick frame and then shrunk taught with an ordinary heat gun.

To demonstrate it’s strength it was applied to a frame about 2’ square. tightened with a heat gun and then everyone was invited to break it. Suspended on all 4 sides of its frame, it held up to many people jumping on the fabric inside the frame without tearing or breaking. It could be cut with a sharp knife but could be quickly temporarily repaired with Duct Tape.

Much like model airplane construction with paper over balsa wood strips. The paper covering was made taut by sprinkling it with water and then allowing it to dry.

Thanks for the picture . Don;t know how such a good-looking boat was made in three hours but I believe you.

I've only ever built one kayak, it was made out of cedar strips with ash accents. It was built from leftovers, so, it didn't cos much to build. But, if I'd had to buy everything for the build, it would have been costly. When completed it was 15" in length, and it weighed 60lbs. It was built on plywood frames I made, after getting the measurements off of another kayak. It was a two sections build, first the top half then the bottom. It was a real pleasure to use, and it was perfectly balanced. Due to an accident not related to the kayak, I could never use it again. So, I sold it to a friends daughter, she uses it all the time now that she has it where she lives. And I took the $1000.00 she paid me for it, and invested it into more tools.
    Len

Len,

Very interesting. You must have had a great time building and using that Kayak. Sorry about your accident and not being able to use it after.

However you are probably enjoying the tools bought from the sale and hopefully your experience was not all bad.

My concerns are (1) being able to sit in the position required by the kayak and (2) being able to handle it’s weight in order to take it from the car to the water & vice versa.

The Kayak lessons I hope to take when it gets warner should answer the sitting problem and maybe also the weight problem.. A “sit-on-top low price commercial Kayak may also be a good temporary solution. I am not as keen on building one as I was originally because of the time required and also the cost. However, being a DYR’er all that fun would be lost.

Thank you for your post.