Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which Shoulder Plane?

Which Shoulder Plane?

I've recently seen the light about hand planes and scrapers. As much as I like my power tools, sometimes the right tool is a hand tool. During a recent project, I discovered how enjoyable it is to use a card scraper, my Stanley #5, Type 11 (that I've had for several years, but hadn't even sharpened), and a cheap Buck Brothers block plane with a nice, sharp iron.

During that same project, I had a problem that would have been much easier to fix if I'd had a shoulder plane. SWMBO decided to get me one for our anniversary, and she's even nice enough to let me pick it out!

I've been looking around the 'net, and I think I've narrowed my search. But it seems to me that there are positives and negatives to each:

1. Stanley #92 - Versatile (converts to a chisel plane) and relatively inexpensive ($100), but maybe not the best quality.

2. Veritas/Lee Valley Medium Shoulder Plane - Reasonably priced ($149) and innovative, but not as versatile.

3. Clifton #3110 Shoulder Plane - Versatile (converts to a bullnose and a chisel plane) and high quality, but pricey ($250).

4. Lie-Nielsen medium Shoulder Plane - High quality, but higer price ($175), and not as versatile.

I really like the idea of multi-use tools, so I'm drawn to the Stanley and the Clifton. Obviously, there's a huge price difference, and probably an equal difference in quality. Can anyone relate some personal experience with the Stanley #92? Are there other manufacturers that I've not considered?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Sam Chambers; 09-07-2005 at 10:22 AM.
    Sam/Atlanta

I have the Clifton 420 and wouldn't trade it for anything. I also have a LN rabbetting block plane and use it for wide tenons, but the 420 is my go to shoulder plane. Smaller than the large LN. Please note that the medium shoulder plane was not available from LN 6 years ago when I bought my Clifton, or I may have been swayed in my decision making. Still a very nice plane.
    "When we build, let us think that we build forever." - Ruskin

3. Hi Sam,

The Stanley can be a nice tool if you get a vintage one, which drives the price up as well as the amount of fiddling you may need to do (flattening and ensuring you have sides square to the bottom).

The Clifton is simply a nice tool both to look at and use in comparison to the Stanley.

The LV and LN ones are better tools, imo. The "lack" of a bullnose ability is not a great loss. BN planes, of which I have one smaller one (similar, though a vintage version of the LV bullnose), are difficult to operate with accuracy. A chisel can be used to clean up a stopped groove as easily. That said, they sometimes are handy. For the odd occassion I use one, I have an old Preston bullnose.

Still no easy choice from my answer. I have used them all and don't own any any longer. My preference in shoulder planes are the little LN 1/2" infill and a 100+ year old AT Murray infill (1 1/8" x 9").

Mike

It is hard to beat the LV Medium shoulder...I have that a Clifton and the big LN
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

LV gets the nod on the shoulder plane...

I have and love the large LV shoulder plane. I think it is a better plane and is much easier to hold/use. I love my LN 140 (and I have a bunch of other LN tools), but your question is about shoulder planes. I think the added features and comfort in hand, make the LV the best choice.

I also have the LN large chisel plane and can say that I don't use it much at all. The same effect can be had with a sharp chisel or by taking the blade out of your #5 or block plane and laying it flat on a rebate etc. to clean out a corner.

Hope that helps.

Robert

If you cut tenon shoulders a bit short, then I find a flat file to be faster, more accurate and easier to use than a shoulder plane. And there is no sharpening to be done, no fettling. No depth adjustment. Nothing to do other than take down the shoulder.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

I like the look and feel of the classics so I bought the LN large shoulder plane last Spring. It feels very nice in my hands. The medium one looks to be a real nice plane as well. The machining on this plane is incredible. You can't see the seam for the mouth adjustment. You can't go wrong with the LN IMHO.

Mike

I have the LV medium shoulder plane. It is one of the most used planes in my shop. My feeling is that you want a dedicated tool. It seems to me that comprises are made when you try to make a tool do too many things and it ends up only doing any one of the jobs O.K.

Wendell

9. I've got the Clifton 3110. I've only used it as a shoulder plane, so I would recommend either the 3110 or the LN. Both are great tools!
    E

I looked at the new Stanley #92. Seemed like a good "project plane" to me. I suspect a vintage one would do fine but obviuosly pricier. I opted for the LV medium one (large one not yet out). This was a great value. I had never used a shoulder plane before, but this one worked great out of the box...and even better after I adjusted it a little and honed the iron. I'm very happy with mine, though I have never used the others.

Mark

Sam

Don't forget to take a look at the HNT Gordon planes-they are reasonably priced and beautifully built! I have a 3/4 and 1 1/4 inch shoulder planes and they work great (as well as being SO pretty ). The blade can be reversed and the planes used as scrapers too, as you like multi-function tools.
    Cheers
    Philly

Thanks for the great advice, guys. I'm thinking I may get the Lee Valley/Veritas medium. That'll save me enough money to get their cabinet scraper, too!
    Sam/Atlanta

Sam, I use the LN rabbet plane. It cuts shoulders great very versitle. Its a low angle plane, that I love. Someday I might get the LN shoulder, cause I love planes, but this one does everything a shoulder plane does, and more. Good luck on your choice!
    Michael and Sally Pfau
    Grant Creek Woodworks
    Missoula Montana
    www.grantcreekwoodworks.com

You ought to consider for a moment anyway -- building your own. Shoulder planes are probably the easiest built, either all wooden, partial infill (like the Gordon planes) or pure infill. You can buy a Shepard Kit for 169$ or finished for 239$ ... You can build you own wooden one for just the cost of an iron -- using some oak or maple scrap an maybe a nice piece of IPE from the local wood store for a sole. Lots of satisfaction there ... You think using them is addicting -- try building them

If you want to buy check out Knight ToolWorks for all wooden planes -- great tools, great prices.
    Mike-in-Michigan (Richland that is) <br> "We never lack opportunity, the trouble is many don't recognize an opportunity when they see it, mostly because it usually comes dressed in work clothes...."

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Cody
    ...Shoulder planes are probably the easiest built, either all wooden, partial infill (like the Gordon planes) or pure infill....
    I have to disagree with this statement. First, scrub planes are easier by far, no requirements to keep anything in line with anything else, all refinements optional.

Second, on shoulder planes it's very tricky to get just the right width blade to be just slightly larger than the plane thickness.

Pam