Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Overcomplicated Shoe Rack

After a long delay I finally had time to finish the rack last weekend. I spent around 3 months writing to finish my last degree along with work and family pretty much prevented any shop time. Was glad to have some time to finish.

Basic last steps were running a smoother over the outsides and trimming the proud through dovetails flush. Also gave most edges a light chamfering with a block plane to remove sharp edges. Final finish was 3 coats of general finishes water based satin poly which is my go to idiot proof finish.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Couple let of the lessons learned: first is I would not do sliding through dovetails. They looked neat at first but the fitting is pretty poor on most of them and could have been hidden if half blind. I like the contrasting colors but could have just left it to the regular dovetails as through on the top and bottom rails.

Second is to lay the dovetails out further in from the edge of the board. I induced some splitting on the the tails on the outside at the top and bottoms. Nothing too bad but a lesson learned.

The important thing is the Mrs was very happy and the shoe rack quickly filled

Bob

Blog Entries
    Congratulations on the Degree.

Looks good, as long as the Mrs. is happy nothing else really matters.

the shoe rack quickly filled
    Hopefully not with all new shoes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Great study on dovetails.

Sadly, the the defunct turtledove dress sandal would have likely nested well here...

http://www.amazon.com/Aerosoles-Wome.../dp/B00G28AZUY

Quote Originally Posted by Robert McNaull View Post
    After a long delay I finally had time to finish the rack last weekend. I spent around 3 months writing to finish my last degree along with work and family pretty much prevented any shop time. Was glad to have some time to finish.

Basic last steps were running a smoother over the outsides and trimming the proud through dovetails flush. Also gave most edges a light chamfering with a block plane to remove sharp edges. Final finish was 3 coats of general finishes water based satin poly which is my go to idiot proof finish.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Couple let of the lessons learned: first is I would not do sliding through dovetails. They looked neat at first but the fitting is pretty poor on most of them and could have been hidden if half blind. I like the contrasting colors but could have just left it to the regular dovetails as through on the top and bottom rails.

Second is to lay the dovetails out further in from the edge of the board. I induced some splitting on the the tails on the outside at the top and bottoms. Nothing too bad but a lesson learned.

The important thing is the Mrs was very happy and the shoe rack quickly filled

Bob
    Nice! Now you realize that all these shoes being nicely organized probably just increases the need for more shoes since it will be much more obvious that there are style and color gaps in the assortment

Very nice work....and your spouse is happy and will buy more shoes
    Jerry

The shoe rack looks great and congrats on the happy spouse and finishing your degree!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Prashun Patel;2572914]Great study on dovetails.

Sadly, the the defunct turtledove dress sandal would have likely nested well here...

http://www.amazon.com/Aerosoles-Wome.../dp/B00G28AZUY[/QUOTE]

Prashun, You are truly a Renaissance man; pointing out the sadly lost opportunity of the now defunct "turtledove dress sandals" to be such a natural fit with Bob's shoe rack is a wide ranging perspective we are fortunate you bring to SMC, and one that made me cough a nice single malt through my nose onto the keyboard in a fit of laughter!

As always, I very much enjoy your posts!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Bob,

I love your shoe rack and congratulations on building something your wife enjoys –IMHO, no higher praise.

Thanks for posting, and I look forward to seeing more of your work.

Best, Mike

Thanks for the kind words.

Prashun- , although my wife avoids heels as often as possible. She would fill the rack with tennis shoes if allowed.

Mike, agreed, if the wife is happy, it's a win. Hopefully I'll continue to have time for the shop, some of you guys are really productive with your shop time while I seem to spend a lot of time staring at partially planed lumber. I enjoy build threads and how to threads with pictures, they provide a lot of knowledge and serve as great learning tools for myself at least.

Bob