Thread: (Tiny) Project: Chisel/Saw Rack

(Tiny) Project: Chisel/Saw Rack

For way too long, some of my "hand tools" have lived in a cardboard box under the miter bench and I've been, um...meaning to...deal with that for an equally long time. Today while doing some between-project shop cleanup, I finally took care of the problem with a "two part" solution. The first part was basically getting the OSS off the back right side of the miter station since it's not something I frequently use. I grabbed some inexpensive casters at the home center yesterday, screwed them to the bottom of a scrap piece of plywood and created an easy to move platform to store the OSS under the bench. Cheap and clean. From there, I made a simple rack to hold my "good" chisels, carving tools and hand saws, again using scrap 1/2" plywood. The combination of a 3/4" hole and a 1/2" wide slot did the job. The whole thing was mounted between two of the upright posts that hold the cantilevered miter stand to the wall. Everything is now immediately accessible and organized. Total project time...about 45 minutes. What's not to like about that?

(pardon the pano distortion)

And now it's time to move on to the next "big" project after this short dust-clearing interlude.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nicely done Jim. I went through an organizational project thing myself a few weeks back. Feels good to have everything accessible and neatly in its place.

Nicely done Jim.
    I got tired of digging for my nut drivers all the time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Yea, I may put in more tool accommodations below this rack for things like oft-used drivers and other tools that would be nice to have "more handy". A lot of that stuff is in bin-drawers. I really don't have any actual "wall space" available, so this location is ideal and during the day, it acts as a nice sun shield when the burning ball of nuclear light is low on the horizon and the trees are bare.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...