Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Did you see Grizzly new lathe?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Posts
    4,180

    Did you see Grizzly new lathe?

    Just going through the catalog to see whats new.
    Have not looked into the details yet.


    http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2016/main?p=146

    http://www.grizzly.com/products/24-x...od-Lathe/G0800
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 01-02-2016 at 8:17 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Mount Sterling, KY
    Posts
    2,458
    Definitely a bruiser at close to 850lbs. Good looking, lots of nice features but as usual "Not ready for immediate shipping". Will be interesting to see a review on it when someone finally gets one.
    ____________________________________________
    JD at J&J WoodSmithing
    Owingsville, Kentucky

    "The best things in life are not things."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    502
    Quote Originally Posted by James Combs View Post
    Definitely a bruiser at close to 850lbs. Good looking, lots of nice features but as usual "Not ready for immediate shipping". Will be interesting to see a review on it when someone finally gets one.
    Agreed - but it'll probably be May-June before they ever land on our shores.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    SE Kansas City Metro, MO
    Posts
    658
    Yay! A new lathe from Grizzly to dominate the turning forum for the next 12 months!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Great Falls, VA
    Posts
    752
    Hey Marty, didn't know you were such a fan of Grizzly lathes! When you have a chance, check out this 12/28/15 video of Shiraz Balolia, Pres. of Grizzly, demonstrating the features of one of them. Top speed is only 1800 rpm on that particular model, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-R...rAUjC75piKhBnK

  6. #6
    Only fault I can see is that the tail stock, when moved off the end by the hinge, is in the way if you turn off that end. It needs to rotate down out of the way.

    robo hippy

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Greenbaum View Post
    Agreed - but it'll probably be May-June before they ever land on our shores.


    The Grizzly lathes are like computers seems like, always another one around the corner. I read and looked at the the pictures to see what the new lathes were about. Nice machines no doubt but the 766 seems to do everything I am interested in now and do it well. I need to get my major accessories together and I think I'll be plenty happy with the 766 for a year or three. No doubt new lathe fever will hit somewhere down the road but unlike the badly needed change from the old craftsman, when I change from the 766 it will be because of want, very unlikely to be because of need. Who knows, the 766 might buy me an American Beauty someday!

    Hu

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Coshocton Ohio
    Posts
    128
    Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    Only fault I can see is that the tail stock, when moved off the end by the hinge, is in the way if you turn off that end. It needs to rotate down out of the way.

    robo hippy
    Hi Reed. The tail stock on my Laguna 2436 swings completely out of the way, meaning it swings around and against the opposite side of the bed.
    Also I think you could turn off the swing away, it's that heavily built!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Shenandoah Valley, Va.
    Posts
    8,800
    Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    Hey Marty, didn't know you were such a fan of Grizzly lathes! When you have a chance, check out this 12/28/15 video of Shiraz Balolia, Pres. of Grizzly, demonstrating the features of one of them. Top speed is only 1800 rpm on that particular model, though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mb-R...rAUjC75piKhBnK
    Just fyi...the video referenced here is a gunsmithing lathe.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

    Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

    For information on my website, click on my profile or avatar


  10. #10
    The GO800 & GO799 have been avalible for two years I really enjoy mine.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
    Posts
    245
    You can buy them direct from the maker in China but as I can't see pricing on the Grizzly site because they won't ship here I can't see if the price is better or worse.

    https://www.alibaba.com/product-deta...4f1770255kpj3c

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •