Thread: Help Me Evolve My Sharpening: Scary Sharpish to Sharpton + Naniwa Snow White

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Help Me Evolve My Sharpening: Scary Sharpish to Sharpton + Naniwa Snow White

I am still new to woodworking and have been sharpening my few chisels and plane blades via a granite slab and various grits of Norton paper (400 - 100 grit) and Veritas MK II, followed by a leather strop with green compound. Clearly not the sharpest edges, but I've been able to get some arm-hair removed with them.

After reading about the various methods available for sharpening I'm setting my sights on a Shapton Pro 1000 (~$37 Japan version) and then the jump to a Naniwa Snow White ($87 at ChefKnivesToGo). With a little Christmas money I pulled the trigger on the Snow White which just arrived yesterday.

For now the Shapton Pro 1000 will have to wait for more funds. The plan is to do the equivalent sharpening stage on the granite + paper, as well as flattening the SW via the same method.

Questions for you guys: What wet/dry paper grit is equivalent to ceramic 1000? What grit would you use to keep the Snow White flat?

(Dumb autocorrect keeps overriding Shapton to Sharpton. Can't fix the thread title now )
    Last edited by Matt Bainton; 12-31-2015 at 12:04 PM. Reason: Autocorrect!