Thread: Sorry for another "what should I buy thread"....

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Sorry for another "what should I buy thread"....

I've been a member of a local maker space for a while. Loved having access to all of the tools. Ready to jump in and expand the home shop to the next level. I have a lathe, mill, 3-d printer, etc... So, the next logical step is a laser... this is 80% for personal projects and 20% to try and re-coop some of the costs (if I can)...

So... I've been shopping for a while... I'm looking in the 2-4k range... I figure if I spend less than 2k on the machine that leaves more budget to upgrade/fix/buy material to use with it...

I think my only option (budget wise) is to get a Chinesium machine (or a raging deal on a used machine)...

Machine 1
    ebay.com/itm/US-SHIP-50W-CO2-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-USB-Port-/191267353778?hash=item2c886c34b2:g:rLUAAOSw6EhUSND r

Machine 2
    ebay.com/itm/50w-CO2-USB-Laser-Engraving-Cutting-Machine-Engraver-Cutter-300mm-X-500mm-/301754502253?hash=item4641f84c6d:g:sSAAAOSwgyxWVmY k

I get the impression from reading that some of you can probably take one look at these machines and tell all of critical specs (what kind of laser tube, electronics, etc)...

To me they look very similar, machine 1 has a larger cut surface (400x600) but other then that they look similar.

Anyone have an opinion? 50w seems like enough to cut 1/4 "common" material...

Tony
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 12-31-2015 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Removed hot links to eBay