Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long overdue updated shop tour...

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Adams View Post
    Thanks Terry. I never would have imagined it was that "cheap". Yes, White Zombie is the name of that car I was thinking of. I just find it hilarious when you see people's reaction to it before and after it races. Thanks for the link.
    You can obviously spend as much money as you can stand but we have to be economical to be able to race. Using the golf cart rear end and motor and building as light as possible really saves money and allows us to still go fast. The challenge is the 10 lbs of "stuff" in a 5 lb can that we have to deal with using these little motors.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Now I understand your signature line. Thanks for sharing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott DelPorte View Post
    Now I understand your signature line. Thanks for sharing that.
    Your welcome. Wood working is "supposed" to be my hobby but I kinda got side tracked with drag racing. Trying to split the difference now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

First off your shop makes me drool.

2nd off, I like my racing machinery loud, smelly, oily, hot and fast. Seems you only have the last part.
    But with that said, I can definitely see the allure to the technology. There are some really cool things ahead. Here's one of them. The specs are mindblowing.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Hearn View Post
    First off your shop makes me drool.

2nd off, I like my racing machinery loud, smelly, oily, hot and fast. Seems you only have the last part.
    But with that said, I can definitely see the allure to the technology. There are some really cool things ahead. Here's one of them. The specs are mindblowing.

I would have never dreamed that we would be racing something electric but here we are. It's been a challenge but one that I'm enjoying very much. The years ahead will no doubt bring technology that will amaze. The Lightning motorcycle guys have it going on for sure!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Very nice shop! What type of dust collection do you have on your lathe?

Thanks!

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Redlin View Post
    Very nice shop! What type of dust collection do you have on your lathe?

Thanks!

Dave
    Thanks Dave!! I have 6" duct with 6" flex to the lathe. I've used a HVAC register boot for the pickup.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thank you for the thread. Cool dragster.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I'm going to post some specifics of some of the stuff I have in the shop so might as well begin with the router bench...

I built a couple of these benches from some repurposed kitchen cabinets that I salvaged from a remodel job. I used 2 cabinets and built a drawer unit in between them. They are on wheels but I never move them any more. I replaced the drawer fronts and doors with 3/4" melamine edge banded with white oak. I built the center drawers from scratch. They are 1/2" Baltic birch ply dovetailed on all 4 corners with 100lb. full extension slides.

This bench houses the router table on one end and the planer on the other as well as storage for my other routers, bits and such along with sand paper, finishing materials and table saw accessories.

I have a Hitachi M12V plunge router with the springs and handles removed and the adjustment knob added in the table. Works basically like a lift just have to open the door on the table to adjust. Not having the springs makes it super easy to adjust. I have it on a Rockler plate. I love the foot pedal control for the router. You can see it hanging on the end of the bench. The top is 1 1/2" made up of a sheet of 3/4 "mdf topped by a sheet of 3/4" melamine.

The fence is made from edge banded 3/4" melamine. It's built with pocket screws. Has 4" dust port. It's attached to the table with Rockler T track. I also used the T track on the face of the fence for feather boards and such. Thanks for looking!

Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 01-21-2016 at 11:26 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I dunno...looks the same when I was there ~10 years ago!

Cool stuff, Terry, and great to see you wading back into the Creek!

Somewhere 'round here there is a pic of me at your place with Razorback nose!! Peacock might have it. He posts it every once in a while.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I dunno...looks the same when I was there ~10 years ago!

Cool stuff, Terry, and great to see you wading back into the Creek!

Somewhere 'round here there is a pic of me at your place with Razorback nose!! Peacock might have it. He posts it every once in a while.
    Everyone needs a Hog nose.

I've actually made quite a few changes over those years. I still get great pleasure from refining and reorganizing building a better mouse trap...I know...I know...it's a sickness. Plus 75% of the guys on here now have no clue who I am or why I'm here. lol...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    Everyone needs a Hog nose.
    Plus 75% of the guys on here now have no clue who I am or why I'm here. lol...
    For one of the first times in my long life...I'm not the clueless one? Hi Terry...cool hot rod.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn Clabo View Post
    For one of the first times in my long life...I'm not the clueless one? Hi Terry...cool hot rod.
    Lol... Hi Glenn. How have you been?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Interesting...I used to work as a pit crew member of a road racing/SCCA team, flag races as a corner worker, and autocross a Miata. Now, I have two soon to be 3 children in College...the automotive stuff has gone by the wayside for the (supposedly) cheaper hobby of wood working...

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Hatfield View Post
    Lol... Hi Glenn. How have you been?
    Long story...PM sent.
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan