Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Long overdue updated shop tour...

Long overdue updated shop tour...

I've not done a very good job of hanging out around these parts for a while. Trying to remedy that by being a little more present. Hopefully I can add a little to what you guys have going on here at SMC. Thought I'd post a little updated shop tour just for fun. I continue to rearrange and refine the place even after 20 years. A couple of friends and I built my shop in 1995 shortly after we bought our house. It's a 30x40 with 10' ceilings. It's transitioned many times as I have switched and/or added hobbies over the years. The initial build was 100% automotive. Today it is a mixture of wood working, metal working and general fabrication plus housing my pit cart and electric dragster. I'm very blessed to have a place that always puts a smile on my face when I go there! The hours melt away anytime I'm in the shop.

Here's where it all started...

And here it is now...

The shop is situated 100' behind the house and has an asphalt driveway and parking area.

The back of the shop has an overhead door where I park our race trailer.

I built a 9x9 room on the back to house my 5hp 80 gallon Snap On compressor and provide additional general storage.

Not actually part of the shop but on the side of the property I built a 10x16 storage building to match.

We'll go inside in the next post....
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 12-30-2015 at 10:44 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here are some general photos of the inside...

Home built cyclone in the corner by the front door with Grizzly 17" band saw on the other side of the door.

West wall bench, Delta scroll saw, Jet drum sander and clamp storage with wood storage above.

The south west corner has a different configuration from when this pic was taken but still has my Jet lathe and Ridgid spindle sander.

The new configuration has wood storage made from a pallet rack where the lathe used to be and moved the spindle sander next to the drum sander on the west wall. I moved the lathe to the south wall next to the miter saw station.

South wall is the miter saw station with the Delta mortiser stored below the saw.

In front of the miter saw station is the Grizzly 8" jointer.

The jointer backs up to the router station that also has my Ridgid planer.

In the center of the fab area is my Grizzly table saw with Exaktor sliding table with another bench as an out feed.

The center piece of the shop is my bench. I built it in 2002. All solid white oak with a triple 3/4" mdf top that's covered with white oak ply and edge banded with solid white oak.

More to come...
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 12-30-2015 at 10:43 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In between the 2 front overhead doors is my Grizzly drill press and sheet good storage.

In between the 1st overhead door and the front door is my Grizzly 17" band saw.

And yet more to come....
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 12-30-2015 at 10:45 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

In between the south wall and overhead door is my heat source. It's a double sided fireplace insert that I bought cheap. It does an amazing job of heating the space. I also have fishing rod storage on the wall.

In front of the wood stove is my Grizzly edge sander.

There is an open space on the east side with overhead doors on both ends that I use for the golf cart and the dragster.

Obligatory dragster pic...

The east wall is the tool box wall, my metal fab bench, cold cut metal saw, Hobart 190 mig, battery charger station for the dragster and storage.

Still more to come...
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 12-30-2015 at 10:46 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

General shop overview pics...

This one shows an old configuration on the east wall.

I have a ton of detail photos if anyone wants to see anything in more detail.

Thanks for looking!!!
    Last edited by Terry Hatfield; 12-30-2015 at 10:47 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Terry, very nice shop. Thanks for posting.

Mr Hatfield, it's been too long. Good to see your name and shop again! I really like your rubber floor!
    Electric dragster? What's it do the 1/4 mile in?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Wow, thanks for taking the time to post. I love looking around other shops.

Blog Entries
    Ya gotta tell us at least a little bit about your electric dragster man! And that is quite a stash of angle grinders you have there. Many of us aren't just woodworkers. I have a CJ7 we have been working on for 25 years.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Lisowski View Post
    Terry, very nice shop. Thanks for posting.
    Thank you Bryan!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Mr Hatfield, it's been too long. Good to see your name and shop again! I really like your rubber floor!
    Electric dragster? What's it do the 1/4 mile in?
    Hey Bruce!! Good to talk to you again! The floor has been a real back and knee saver. I used the Harbor Freight interlocking mats...a whole lot of them. I put them in 3 years ago and they've been great to work on.

We run 1/8trh mile with the little dragster. We actually hold the NEDRA (National Electric Drag Racing Assoc.) world record for our voltage class (211.3 to 254 volts). 6.54 @ 99.91 mph. We're having a ridiculous amount of fun with it. Believe it or not, we run a golf cart rear end and a very highly modified golf cart motor. We have a matching pit cart as well. No surprise to anyone who knows me but the whole racing thing kinda got out of hand.

The business end of the dragster. 2000 amp controller. Ultra light and powerful Lithium Cobalt battery pack.

Shot of the dragster...

Pit cart. Cheryl goes to every race with me. Wouldn't want it to be any other way.

Old school dually and race trailer...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Here's the driver's view of the world record pass at Ozark Raceway Park

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

That'll throw you back in the seat! You're having too much fun!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Us against a VW powered dragster also at ORP.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    That'll throw you back in the seat! You're having too much fun!
    Yes, yes we are. We've been able to travel to several different tracks and will continue to do so in 2016. It's been such a blessing to be able to do this and for Cheryl to be the pit crew.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]