Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Support fence for TS miter gauge?

Support fence for TS miter gauge?

This might be a no-brainer, but I'm stumped as to how I would attach a support fence to the type of miter gauge pictured below. Some form of L-bracket is all I can think of, but what type and where to find? I have one of these that came with my G1022ZF, and would like to get some use out of it before I resort to buying an Incra or Kreg.

ForumRunner_20151228_121501.jpg

Personally Id ditch it and get an Incra, but if I HAD to keep it, what about drilling holes through the face all the way through to run T Slot bolts and screw knobs? Then the T Slot side of the bolts could go into a T Slotted sacrificial face/fence extension.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Either an Incra 1000, a Kreg, or the Osborne EB-3 are on my after-holiday shopping list. But I'd like to keep this basic model around for when I resell the saw. And, as long as it's in my collection, I might as well get some use out of it. There are already two sets of holes, which I'm presuming are for securing some form of fence to the gauge face. Two of the holes are on top and two are on each end, left and right. The holes on the ends are threaded, making me think this is where an L-shaped bolt would fit, with corresponding threads that would just fit through an auxiliary fence, to be held by a bolt recessed into the face of that aux fence. Has anyone done this, or am I wasting my time?

Blog Entries
    Ditto. I would drill 5/16" holes and use 1/4" t-bolts (toilet tank bolts from the BORG if you don't keep jig stock around) at the height used by most aftermarket goodies. My Incra, Rockler and others are about 1" off the surface although the Incra gauge (slots) are usable from 7/16" through about 1-1/4". My daily 'user' has been modified a bit but, strictly bolt-ons.

Incra v-27 mod (2).jpg

I also have numerous sections of 3/4" ply with a t-slot cut along the back that I use and cut down until they're gone, then grab another one.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-28-2015 at 3:45 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'd rather not drill into the face if I don't have to. Those existing holes must've been intended for securing an auxiliary fence, but I'm just not seeing how that could be done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Ontko View Post
    I'd rather not drill into the face if I don't have to. Those existing holes must've been intended for securing an auxiliary fence, but I'm just not seeing how that could be done.
    The 2 on the ends are for a threaded stop rod for repeating cuts similar to flip stops but less convenient. The ones on top I think are for some kind of hold downs.

Blog Entries
    I swapped out a similar crosscut guide for a Kreg guide a couple of years ago and wish I had done it sooner. The Kreg guide has served me very well. The shot pin stops are very accurate and the fence easily accepts shop made jigs.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Sounds like a unanimous recommendation so far to go get a real miter gauge!

If that thing is steel, you could probably use strong magnets to attach a fence. I buy mine from lee valley, but Ive seen them at the BORG.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Incra 1000 SE here. It is a keeper for sure.
    Bill
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Couple ways to go if you don't want to drill through the face. Easy way is to get a pair of headless f-clamp. By headless I mean what Festool has for their rail clamps. Other companies make them for attaching a sacrificial fence to a table saw fence. You would drill into the edge of your support fence and insert the clamps. Other way is to attach two blocks perpendicular to the back of your support fence. The two blocks should be spaced the width of your miter gauge head. There should be through holes in the support blocks so that machine screws can engage the threaded holes in the side of the miter gauge, thus securing the support fence.

Take a length of shop scrap that will fit the top of miter gauge head, mark it where to bore holes to fix it to the miter gauge head, then glue/screw a sub fence to it?....

Quote Originally Posted by Davis Young View Post
    Couple ways to go if you don't want to drill through the face. Easy way is to get a pair of headless f-clamp. By headless I mean what Festool has for their rail clamps. Other companies make them for attaching a sacrificial fence to a table saw fence. You would drill into the edge of your support fence and insert the clamps. Other way is to attach two blocks perpendicular to the back of your support fence. The two blocks should be spaced the width of your miter gauge head. There should be through holes in the support blocks so that machine screws can engage the threaded holes in the side of the miter gauge, thus securing the support fence.
    This is what I was thinking of, and it turns out that Peachtree has a couple of universal fence clamps that might just do the trick (and for only $10 a set).

I'm only about 20 minutes away from the Grizzly headquarters in Bellingham, WA, so I can always drop by there to see if they have something specific.

Thanks!

Mike- Rocklear has a version of those clamps, I think they are "on sale" currently.

Right you are, Bill. They're listed >here< on sale for $19.99. Thanks for the tip!