Thread: Craftsman monotube lathe tuneup help needed

Craftsman monotube lathe tuneup help needed

I get this lathe's bench made, and mount it. I glued up a cherry and maple blank for a rolling pin, about 4" X4" X 24". I tried to turn it, but the tool rest would not stay tight and the tail stock would not stay tight on the tube. I ended up catching a gouge twice, throwing the piece. I recut the ends and remounted the blank. This time, it tore the maple from one side off.

Sorry for the short rant. So, the tube is mounted and true, and the headstock is tight. Both The tail stock and the tool rest collar that holds the tool rest mount, hold well for length settings, but rock from side to side on the tube, no matter how much I tighten the setting. So, in essence, two independent moving wobbles on the machine when you use it.

Any ideas how how to get the wobbles out? Both of these connections on the tube slide easily but but firmly, on the tube.

the tool rest would not stay tight and the tail stock would not stay tight on the tube. I ended up catching a gouge twice, throwing the piece.
    Jay,

Yikes, this might be hard to figure without looking at the lathe. I had one many years ago but I gave it away. I don't remember either the tailstock or tool rest not tightening. This sounds very frustrating but I guarantee it will get better!

Are things loose all the time or did they loosen when you got a catch? Perhaps excessive force is exceeding the design of the lathe. This lathe was widely used but never had the reputation of being particularly sturdy. However the first thing I turned as a beginner was about the size you mentioned, but from softer wood. There was a lot of side-play in the tailstock support on these lathes due to the design with the single tube. I think I shimmed mine to help but its been so long ago and I am now elderly and feeble minded. :-)

I don't remember anything about the construction. I might start by disassembling the parts to see if anything was amiss. Clean off any wax or oil on components that are not supposed to slip. Perhaps rough up mating surfaces with coarse sand paper if appropriate. Everything must lock down firmly and not move or as you found, a disaster is waiting.

If you are a relative beginner to lathe work, do you know any experienced wood turners nearby? Perhaps in a local club? (Where do you live?) Someone willing to come look at the lathe might spot something, either in the lathe itself, the tools, or the turning technique.

I assume the problem you had was in the roughing stage, in turning the blank from square to round. What tool are you using? Is it sharp? One thing that can really help when starting out is to use a drive center that will slip in case of a catch. That way the wood just stops spinning instead of breaking something.

Also, if you are learning tool technique you might first practice on something smaller, softer, and more forgiving - I usually start students on a 1-1/2" square of pine cut from a 2x4, usually about 12" long. (BTW, if you are just starting out you are absolutely doing the recommended thing - starting on spindles rather than jumping into bowls!)

BTW, many people, like me, started with the monotube lathe and other light-weight lathes and got hooked on wood turning. But my experience is like others I've heard - a LOT of people soon are look for a bigger, stronger lathe! If you get past this problem and discover you enjoy wood turning you can find some good used lathes for very little money.

JKJ

Thanks for the quick reply. I have been turning off and on for decades. Spindles, bowls, weed pots, a chess set in high school (this was a paid job and I used the money to pay for the Prom. Ah, memories...). At any rate, I think first I will completely disassemble, clean, and look for any adjustment screws, etc that are there for things like this. I have a small lathe that I use all the time, but want to use this one for longer blanks.

I still have a tube lathe (but I use the griz g0766) anyway if you can decide on a 4 jaw chuck( I used a psi 3000 on that lathe it comes with needed 3/4 x 16 to 1x8 bushing) that will make your life much nicer than using a spur. once centered the tailstock use it a option not a rule.

Jay,
    I had the Rigid version of this lathe for a few years when I started turning. If I remember correctly, there are some set screws on the back of the tail stock that adjust the position in relation to the head stock. They ride along the key on the bed and if they are too loose, they allow movement. If adjusted right, these screws should remove some of the wobble you are experiencing.
    I know it's not the best lathe but if you can get it adjusted right it will get you by.
    Hope this helps!
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

I had a problem with mine yesterday.Same older craftsman tube style.Under the tube there is a guide that the tailstock adjusts to.I found my rivets holding the guide to the tube were loose.I did manage to get things adjusted and tightened up enough to make it work temporarily,until I decide on a replacement lathe.

I am glad you mentioned that mine had screws instead of rivets they were so loose on that bottom rail they created a lot of slop. I tightened them good with thread locker added , do not use that lathe much but never had that problem since.