Thread: Suggestions for desk assembly (privacy panel to pedestals)

Suggestions for desk assembly (privacy panel to pedestals)

I'm building an executive style desk that needs to come a part for moving (quite large assembled). My original plan was to use cam locks for connecting the privacy panel to the pedestals, but the hole for this have to be incredibly precise to get the right fit (matching trim at the bottom, etc). Since I didn't think ahead to drill these prior to assembly, I would not have to do it with a hand drill, and I just don't think it would work out to my satisfaction. Anyone have other ideas to bring these together tightly?
    Clark Harbaugh

Can you post a pic? Or a drawing?

Table pins for alignment along with cross dowels maybe?

Or make a drilling jig at the drill press and then use a hand drill with your cam locks?

Blog Entries
    Pocket hole screws from the inside would work.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Here is a rendering. You can see how the trim along the bottom matches from the pedestal to the privacy panel. I have a very small tolerance front-to-back for any errors (probably about 1/64" at most). I also have the stretcher on the chair side (under the pencil drawer) that I have to connect. I hadn't thought about pocket holes; that would probably work. I may even be able to just screw them from the inside of the pedestal, but I'll have to see if there is enough clearance to get a drill inside the panel.

Capture.jpg
    Clark Harbaugh

Blog Entries
    You could put a blind dado on each side of the panel bottom frame that would fit over two pins or dowels that go into the side pedistals. Then by sliding the bottom of the panel over the pins rotate the privacy panel up into the knee hole and secure it at the top with pocket hole screws. From normal height of eye you wouldn't see the pockets and the pins would be hidden as well.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I am not with you on this. You want to take out just the privacy panel, which will make it easier to move?

Looks to me as if that does not do much. A really modular piece would have the top as one part, the center drawer as another, then the center panel, and finally the two drawerbase ends.

Otherwise, just build the whole thing as a unit and let others deal with moving it. Pros move stuff like your desk, and heavier, all the time.

One answer is to stop the privacy panel short of the bottom trim--then alignment is not so critical.

Another: if the bottom trim pieces wrap around the pedestals and butt into the privacy panel, the trim will lock in the privacy panel (I would bevel the ends of the panel here for easier insertion. A couple of dowels (or table pins) up the sides of the panel will align the rest of the panel. Then any knock-down hardware can be used to attach both the panel and the front stretcher.

I am assuming you have 5 pieces:

1. Left pedestal
    2. Right pedestal
    3. Pencil drawer
    4. Center stretcher
    5. Top