Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does the rest of the world buy hardwood?

How does the rest of the world buy hardwood?

I posed this question to Fine Woodworking a couple of years ago and got a response from one of the editors that they wanted to use it for an article. I have never seen it but I might have missed it. So to my question, is there a metric "board foot"? I had forgotten about it until today I went and picked up some cherry for my brother. Anyone? Thanks.

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    In Europe lumber is traded in cubic meter if I remember correctly. In Austria and Germany firewood is traded in "Raummeter" (1m x 1m x 1m) under the same criteria as cord wood. Unsawn trees are sold in "Festmeter" where the volume of the round log is measured in cubic meters.
    Old, outdated units of measure are still being used in some regions, they are not legal for trade though.

There are about 370 board feet to a cubic meter. That seems awkward.

Europeans think the same about board feet. Meters are divisible by 10. Feet by 12. Which seems more awkward?

John

Cubic meters are no inherently awkward, but buying lumber by them seems like it is. Buying 0.043m3 at $2,000/m3?

Yeah, cubic meter is a basic metric unit of volume. However, it is an industrial-sized unit. That's why the liter is a common unit of volume measurement in metric countries: it is a nicer size. You can handle a liter of milk.

That said, I don't know what units small-shop woodworkers use in metric lands. Somehow buying wood by the liter doesn't seem likely..

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    There are about 370 board feet to a cubic meter. That seems awkward.
    The board foot is the awkward measurement, a cubic meter is a nice easy dimension to work with as it's multiples of 10 from other volume measurements.

The board foot is related by 144 or 12 from other Imperial volume measurements, not very convenient..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    The board foot is the awkward measurement, a cubic meter is a nice easy dimension to work with as it's multiples of 10 from other volume measurements.

The board foot is related by 144 or 12 from other Imperial volume measurements, not very convenient..........Rod.
    So, Rod, you live in a metric country, and you can answer the OP's question. If you buy a board at your local hardwood dealer, does he ring you up for .0212 of a cubic meter, or some such?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So, Rod, you live in a metric country, and you can answer the OP's question. If you buy a board at your local hardwood dealer, does he ring you up for .0212 of a cubic meter, or some such?
    I live in the same metric country that Rod does. I buy my rough lumber by the bdft.
    I love mankind. It's people I can't stand.

It's all just a measuring stick. I find the single unit French system infuriating, but I'm used to working with fractions and the ease of doing math in my head. I'm also in the minority on that one and alright with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    It's all just a measuring stick. I find the single unit French system infuriating, but I'm used to working with fractions and the ease of doing math in my head. I'm also in the minority on that one and alright with that.
    Agreed. And if the math gets stupid, I have construction master pro on my phone. If the US decided overnight that we're changing to metric, I'd just go buy new tapes for all my tools. Then I'd take solice in knowing my hired help won't have face implosions when I ask them to divide or multiple measurements.
    -Lud

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Ludwig View Post
    Agreed. And if the math gets stupid, I have construction master pro on my phone. If the US decided overnight that we're changing to metric, I'd just go buy new tapes for all my tools. Then I'd take solice in knowing my hired help won't have face implosions when I ask them to divide or multiple measurements.
    I wish wish wish we could go to metric. so much simpler...
    Profanity is the futile effort of a feeble mind, to exert itself forcefully.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Yoder View Post

Too simple though. I'm not a fan of only having the meter to measure things. Plus decimals are really hard to do in your head since units of ten don't give you too many friendly fractions.

[QUOTE=Justin Ludwig;2508052] If the US decided overnight that we're changing to metric, I'd just go buy new tapes for all my tools. QUOTE]

I wouldn't change a thing if we officially went to metric overnight. I would still think in board feet and in feet, inches and fractions for measurement. I have a metric tape but in the shop, I can tell at a glance the measurement on my imperial tape measures.

I would also like to know how woodworkers in metric countries buy their lumber, especially small amounts.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Yoder View Post
    Oh, so do I. It would cut the cost of our imports, make our exports more competitive, and make life so much easier. Can you imagine only needing one set of wrenches, or never again having to look up how many tablespoons there were in a pint?

I thought in 1973, when they started selling gasoline in liters, that it might be the beginning of our joining the rest of the world; but we all know how that worked out.

Gotta fight the urge to get political here.