Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does the rest of the world buy hardwood?

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Yoder View Post
    I wish wish wish we could go to metric. so much simpler...

Nothing is preventing you from going metric. Just do it.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So, Rod, you live in a metric country, and you can answer the OP's question. If you buy a board at your local hardwood dealer, does he ring you up for .0212 of a cubic meter, or some such?
    Jamie, I wish I lived in a metric country, I live in a country that got stalled half way through the conversion.

Unfortunately I'm stuck with the archaic board foot.........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Wasner View Post
    Too simple though. I'm not a fan of only having the meter to measure things. Plus decimals are really hard to do in your head since units of ten don't give you too many friendly fractions.
    Hi, most woodworking is measured in the millimeter, which is a really nice sized unit, a bit bigger than 1/32".

Years ago I went metric for furniture design/construction, I find it much easier to use than fractional inches.........Regards, Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi, most woodworking is measured in the millimeter, which is a really nice sized unit, a bit bigger than 1/32".

Years ago I went metric for furniture design/construction, I find it much easier to use than fractional inches.........Regards, Rod.

A millimeter is just a thousandth of a meter, not a separate unit.

I just like the math, I can add 13.875 and 5.4375 in my head quickly and easily because they are easy fractions. Change them by a tiny bit and I need to do it long hand or with a calculator.