Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do you watch on "TV"?

Right now, Hee Haw. Also Lawrence Welk, Science of Stupid, Beverly Hillbillies, and a few woodworking shows.

I watch a lot of old western TV shows like:

Gunsmoke
    Laramie
    Virginian (my favorite)
    Death Valley Days
    Big Valley
    Bonanza

I find these on the Encore western station and INSP

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    You watch Chopped also???
    We go to a nice restaurant that has the food network playing, with no sound, on the TV's behind the bar. I'll look for those
    Oh, yea...I'm a foodie and believe it or not, Chopped and MasterChef have really helped me think about things differently in the kitchen.

Scripts (who owns FoodNetwork and some other DIY channels) hasn't been terribly friendly to streaming services, but the shows are available to stream from their individual sites, at least on your computer/tablet via browser.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    N.Y Mets
    N Y. Giants
    Mountain Men - these people are amazing ( I hope it's true, but I'm not completely sure)
    Bill O'Reilly- he can drive you nuts but he does make some valid points
    I have HBO & Showtime but rarely find anything of interest on them
    Dennis

If get hooked on TV, you could have a lot of catching up to do. There's something for everyone (most of 'em anyway)
    I like watching Discovery Channel, Science Channel, History Channel and movies.

We dumped cable for Netflix and Hulu plus. My wife and older daughter will watch movies on Netflix and my younger daughter watches TV series on Hulu Plus. Me, I watch broadcast TV. Here in the Detroit area we're really lucky to have all the stations we do. When I first started reading this thread I was watching Perry Mason (METV channel 4.3). Today I watched Combat! (Heroes and Icons channel 2.4).

If you try an antenna for the times your internet goes kaput the OTA choices for Griswold Conn. are pretty slim. It looks like there's three stations available without going to great expense, and two of them are ION (All Serial Killers All The Time!) stations. Also WEDN-DT, the closest PBS station, broadcasts on channel 9, a VHF frequency. Many of the "Digital Television Antennas" that are foisted off to the gullible are for UHF.

-Tom

We just finished binge-watching the Netflix series "Making a Murderer" (documentary of the case of a WI man who was framed once, exonerated, then possibly framed again by local law sherriffs for homicide). It was gripping. CSI and all that stuff never interested me as much as true crime documentaries. I realize it's TV/edited/one person's narrative/etc. but the fact that it actually happened is 10X more interesting to me. Erik
    Last edited by Erik Loza; 12-27-2015 at 8:50 AM.
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thank you for the suggestions everyone. I may not try them all, but at least I have a starting point.

Tom Stenzel
    Eastern CT is pretty lousy for most transmission broadcast medium. The FM Radio is so bad here, that I never use it.
    The content is just awful.
    3G, 4G, and wifi boosters are commonly needed. I've helped people select and install many of them in the past 5-10 years.

3G, 4G, and wifi boosters are commonly needed.
    Do you know about Femto Cells? These are tiny cell towers that connect to broadband internet. They don't receive and amplify the cell signal but work over the internet so they work even in areas with zero cell coverage. Great for inside metal buildings. I think the range is advertised at 30 ft but it goes further than that.

My shop is in a low spot and with a metal roof I got very poor cell service inside. I tried the best cell extender with an outside antenna on my roof and it didn't help much. I finally tried a Verizon femto cell and connected it to ethernet. Now I get full bars all of the time, everywhere in the shop. (Another reason to run an ethernet cable to the shop as well as power.)

JKJ

Don't watch hardly any commercial TV other than the car restoration shows on Velocity and occasional football game.

Some I've watched in the last few years:

Netflix:
    1. Lost
    2. NCIS
    3. Rockford Files
    4. Magnum PI

Amazon Prime Video:
    1. Blue Bloods
    2. NYPD Blue
    3. Longmire
    4. Justified

Some notably missing: Bonanza, Gunsmoke, Seinfeld
    I'm not overly impressed with the movie line ups on either one. It seems every time I search for a movie I like, they don't have it.
    Amazon is bad about running a movie on Prime for a while then putting it on pay per view.

My question is, if you made it to 56 with no TV, why in hell do you want one now?
    They are the biggest waste of time/mind numbers.
    I'm 59 never been a huge book reader, but I spent so much time watching youtube videos and such I can't hardly read a book anymore.

My advice: Sell all that stuff and go back to what you were doing with your free time.

Absolutely nothing. Last regular TV show I watched was an episode of Pushing Daisy's back in 2006.....before that it was several episodes of joan of arcadia in 2001....before that it was an episode of the Simpsons in about 1989 or 1990....watched one episode of Cosby in 1986 when I was in college....

I basically gave up watching TV in middle school and never looked back. Best decision of my life.

I basically gave up watching TV in middle school and never looked back. Best decision of my life.
    Our mother made that decision for us. We got a used TV in the early 60s and she threw it out when it broke and did not allow another one. Years later someone told me that explained everything when he asked how I managed to do so many things. My original quote for the day: TV will suck the hours right out of your life.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    Then I guess I am just a bad person for enjoying TV.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Ole Anderson View Post
    Then I guess I am just a bad person for enjoying TV.
    Not at all!! We are all different and have various ways that we each derive personal enjoyment. I don't personally watch much TV, but I thoroughly enjoy what I do watch and that's what counts.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    For Network TV (The original 3):
    I watch Criminal Minds and the occasional football game.

For Cable channels:
    Fox Soccer Plus (Bundesliga Games)
    ESPN (International Soccer and Curling)
    Food Network (Iron Chef)
    Science Channel
    AMC (Movies that I might like)
    BBC America (Sherlock)
    History (Vikings)

For Movie and PPV:
    Movies on HBO or similar
    Game of Thrones

Netflix or Fandor
    Movies (Usually Foreign or Film Noire) or The occasional Foreign Series (Jack Taylor, Wallander, etc...)

Looking at this, it seems I don't like television series (I hate sitcoms)
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"