Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: UAS and FAA :Drone licensing: Anyone else have one?

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I think registering the drone would be better than the person. That way if a drone did damage it could be traced back to the owner. How many channels are there for operating a drone on. Back when I flew rc planes you had to confirm no one else was on the channel you ere going to use.
    Personally, I think the drone should be registered to a purchaser database and that in order to purchase one legally, you should be able to show completion of some type of training or curriculum. Part of the issue, to my mind, is that for folks who would do mischevious things, the drone becomes an anonymous extension of yourself. "Look, I can fly over the sporting event and nobody will know it's me", or, "Look, I can take pictures of these sunbathing girls" (which already has happened, apparently...). If people are made aware that the device could be traced back to them, I personally feel that it would make folks think twice about doing dumb things with them.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

There should be no need to register a drone which is:

- on the operator’s property w/in a reasonable setback from the property line
    - operating at a reasonable height
    - operating at a reasonable speed

That said: http://www.aol.com/article/2015/12/0...iden/21276925/

Quote Originally Posted by William Adams View Post
    There should be no need to register a drone which is:

- operating at a reasonable speed
    Ummm..OK.

There should be no need to register an AUTOMOBILE (and in most cases there isn't) which is:

- operating at a reasonable speed.

Except that some automobile owners are not going to abide by those restrictions.

I think the idea here is to deter some folks from doing stupid things, because their UAV can be traced back to them if it crashes.
    Regards,
    Dick

The thing is, one can use a vehicle for “Farm Use”, and not only does it not need to be registered, it can operate on public roads while being used for agricultural purposes.

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/farm.html

Private property, on private property should be private.
    Last edited by William Adams; 12-23-2015 at 6:45 AM.

A license should be issued for each owner and then a license for each drone. The drones license number should be required to be on the drone in a reflective paint so it can be seen. The licensing should just like an airplane, boat or automobile.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I think registering the drone would be better than the person. That way if a drone did damage it could be traced back to the owner.
    You are required to place your number on ALL your aircraft/drones.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Eric, I absolutely agree with your idea. We already have to take tests to prove we understand the rules and are competent operators with boats and automobiles. Many places require competency testing for skilled trades like electrical or plumbing work before you can sell your services. Why not apply the same for those who want to operate drones outside the air space over their own property? Of course, this licensing will do absolutely nothing to deter criminals or terrorists.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    Personally, I think the drone should be registered to a purchaser database and that in order to purchase one legally, you should be able to show completion of some type of training or curriculum. Part of the issue, to my mind, is that for folks who would do mischevious things, the drone becomes an anonymous extension of yourself. "Look, I can fly over the sporting event and nobody will know it's me", or, "Look, I can take pictures of these sunbathing girls" (which already has happened, apparently...). If people are made aware that the device could be traced back to them, I personally feel that it would make folks think twice about doing dumb things with them.

Erik

As I was reading this on the news they just showed a drone that almost hit a skier.

Making laws is tricky business. If the law is too onerous irresponsible people won't comply, planning not to get caught. If the law is too lax, people will operate to the edge of the law and the law becomes ineffectual.

As I was reading this on the news they just showed a drone that almost hit a skier.
    I saw that too. It was a big honkin drone. Could have done some real damage.
    Precisely why the FAA wanted the licensing. Without that, the owner could have simply walked away, and nobody would know who it belonged to.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    I saw that too. It was a big honkin drone. Could have done some real damage.
    Precisely why the FAA wanted the licensing. Without that, the owner could have simply walked away, and nobody would know who it belonged to.
    Wasn't that drone one from the company filming the ski race?

Scariest thing was when I saw video clips of fire-arm shooting drones. And think about all those green lasers blinding pilots - have the idiots making them mobile????? Insane!!!
    Last edited by al heitz; 12-24-2015 at 10:50 AM. Reason: spelling fanatic here

There are a whole bunch of drone fail videos on YouTube, including one where a drone takes out the winglet on a southwest 737. That is the real issue

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    There are a whole bunch of drone fail videos on YouTube, including one where a drone takes out the winglet on a southwest 737. That is the real issue
    There are certainly a lot of bad things that can happen with a drone, but the Southwest 737 getting hit by a drone is fake.

The skier almost getting hit speaks volumes- It was mere feet from hitting him square on the head. If the drone itself hadn't killed him, the ensuing crash & burn down the hill could've broken his neck.

Then there's the privacy issues, nearly all of them have still and video camera's. What a great tool for those with less than noble voyeuristic intentions.

And general nuisance issues, like running them into power lines and taking out power to several neighborhoods for hours...

So, I'm making a prediction: With all the drone sales this Xmas, by around oh, let's say Spring of next year, there's going be enough nuisance complaints and video-stalking and injury lawsuits against drone pilots by then that the FAA will be doing a lot more than requiring licenses for these things.

Fine by me.

And for the record, I got one LAST Xmas. But it's never left my own yard...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle