Thread: Kitchen cabinet corner drawer unit

Kitchen cabinet corner drawer unit

I'm building kitchen cabinets for our house. I've built almost all the base cabinets and drawers. The base cabinets are all drawers because the boss wanted them that way. I said yes without thinking but the extra drawers sure do add some time and cost.

ive been delaying building the corner base cabinet until I got the two adjacent cabinets set so I could get some exact measurements. The boss doesn't want a lazy Susan. She wants three drawers going into the corner on a 45 degree angle with perpendicular drawer faces mounted to the drawers. This seems to be fairly popular now.

i was thinking I would just make a parallel sided cabinet that is installed at a 45 into the corner. The front would be notched to follow the plane of the adjacent cabinets. this would allow me to mount the Blum tandem slides right to the plywood sides.

The cabinets are frameless. Blum tandem drawer glides. Overlay drawer faces with a narrow reveals between the drawer faces. The corner is pretty wide with 15" on each leg (39" cabinet width)

So, are there any tricks to these cabinets and drawers? I'm mostly concerned with drawer face interference between the 45 degree drawers and the adjacent drawers.

Just kill the corner. Putting drawers in at a 45º doesn't save any space. There's a triangle on each side and a triangle behind the drawers, those add up to pretty much a dead two foot square space.

I did what Martin is talking about for years when I designed and built new houses. That corner that backed up to the garage wall would have access into it from the garage. You not only lose the triangles, but regular frontage space on either half of the angled corner.

If your wife does not want a lazy Susan, might she be interested in this alternative: http://www.leevalley.com/en/hardware...=3,43722,43723

Tim

Pie Cut.jpgThis is what I do all the time,I almost never make lazy suzans anymore,unless i am working with a customer on a tight budget.All of my customers that have these love them,thay are not the easiest thing in the world to make though.

I appreciate the warnings and the math and logic. We have been kicking around the corner unit options for the last 6 months and I've tried convincing her that there are better options. But logic, math and other practical matters aren't going to win this argument. We may find later it was a terrible idea, but it wasn't my terrible idea....

This is the last kitchen I plan to make so she gets what she wants. Happy wife, happy life.

I'm just trying to make it one time so if someone has done this before and has some lessons learned they can share that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Neu View Post
    This is what I do all the time,I almost never make lazy suzans anymore,unless i am working with a customer on a tight budget.All of my customers that have these love them,thay are not the easiest thing in the world to make though.
    Thats what the wife wants. Have you ever done one on a frameless cabinet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post
    I don't make frameless,usually inset or full overlay face frame.I don't think they would be any harder on frameless though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Berrevoets View Post

It wouldn't be hard to do , but you'd need to a wider space between the drawer fronts and the adjacent cabinets door/ or drawer fronts.

As you can see in Max's photo he's left about 3" of filler between the corner drawer fronts and the DW. That's where you'd have visual issues if you do the rest of the kitchen with a true Euro look with 1/8" gaps between doors/ drawers / F/E panels etc.

I put a three bin garbage carousel in the corner of my kitchen. One for garbage one for recyclables and one for dog food. Works great for us. I don't think you'd have any problems with frameless corner drawers but I think I would test fir the drawer front before I sprayed it just to make sure it clears the adjacent fronts, you may need a larger reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I did what Martin is talking about for years when I designed and built new houses. That corner that backed up to the garage wall would have access into it from the garage. You not only lose the triangles, but regular frontage space on either half of the angled corner.
    Interesting. That would not meet code in my area, as there needs to be a firewall between the garage and the living space. I guess you could do it if the door from the garage into the cabinet is a rated fire door. Would raise red flags with the inspector though.

For the OP's question, though, it sounds like he has already built the adjacent cabinets. I think the only real issue is clearing the adjacent drawer fronts. Here is a sketch that kind of shows the clearances needed (about 1" between drawer fronts)

Corner Drawer 12-20-15.jpg

If you are worried about having to maintain tight margins for a euro/frameless look,Blum makes (or used to) a corner drawer system that folds up when you open it so it can sit tight against the adjacent fronts when in the closed position.I have no experience with that system, so I can't comment on how well it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Miner View Post
    For the OP's question, though, it sounds like he has already built the adjacent cabinets. I think the only real issue is clearing the adjacent drawer fronts. Here is a sketch that kind of shows the clearances needed (about 1" between drawer fronts)

Corner Drawer 12-20-15.jpg
    You are correct, the cabinets on either side are already made and temporarily installed so I could get good measurements for the corner unit.

the drawing you attached is exactly what I'm thinking of. I think I might be able to get the reveal a little bit less if I chamfer the back vertical edge of the drawer faces.

Thanks for the drawing. very helpful.

Mike,
    If you need any help with these,PM me,I have done lots of these,so I should be able to offer any help if you need any,espescially with the undermount slide placement.