Thread: Well it ain't wood but ...

Well it ain't wood but ...

it's eventually getting inlaid into a jewelry box lid. It's been way too hot this summer to do much WW in the shop (garage), so I started with some of the low sweat factor aspects of the box. This was my first attempt at making anything other than wood or metal inlay and those were always straight or arced. This is the first free-form thing I've tackled. After a couple of false starts and mistakes along the way, I thing I've managed to get what I had in mind. It's made of 1/16" thick black and yellow Corian, with Inlace and black Corian joint compound in the real small details. I've still got some pinhole voids to fill, and I need to deepen some of the wing veining lines and refill those as well, but will wait until after it's inlaid to do that. I also wont cut out the final form until right before I'm ready to inlay it. It's just way to fragile to have some of the small wing projections laying around waiting to get broken. I learned a lot making this. If I started over again, I think I could get some slight improvements, but overall I'm satisfied enough to use this one.
    The first pic is the picture I started with. It's the Arizona state butterfly (the box is for my sis who now lives in AZ).
    The second pic is the Corian version that I ended up with (2" tall). The yellow portion of each wing was done with 2 pcs of Corian, then engraved and filled with the black joint compound.
    The 3rd pic shows the areas that were filled using Inlace.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Use the fence Luke

Looks great...but where did you get 1/16" Corian?

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Looks great...but where did you get 1/16" Corian?
    Thanks. I had to resaw it on the bandsaw - with help from some Creekers on an earlier thread. I initially had trouble getting slices instead of wedges when I resawed it.
    Use the fence Luke

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Shepard
    Thanks. I had to resaw it on the bandsaw - with help from some Creekers on an earlier thread. I initially had trouble getting slices instead of wedges when I resawed it.
    Oy. I'm having enough trouble with wood doing that, don't even wanna know how twitchy the Corian is.